Before I throw it away and start again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

My work PC 'randomly' crasshes / restarts whilst I am working on it (I use Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Office & Windows Internet Explorer on a daily basis).

This problem has been re occuring for sometime now (see attached for details, error codes [screen prints]) but having just lost a lot of work - pc crashed before I saved my word & excel document I am desperate to resolve the problem..

I have not ben inside the pc (yet) but assuming they may be some hardware conflicts have been disconnecting the following devices one by one to see if the 'crashing / restart' problem stops:

Belkin 3 port hub & 15 in 1 card reader
Canon ip 4000 printer
canon f913800 flatbed scanner
Universal Power Supply ( short term power should mains power fail)

Any thoughts / ideas would be well received.

Ray

Attachments

• PC Crash 25th October 2007.pdf
    43.3 KB · Views: 6
Are your crashes sudden and then restart or do you get the Blue Screen of Death? If the latter then the next time to post to this thread attach your minidumps and perhaps someone can help.

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is the files we need, not the whole folder attached. If you have 5 or more then Zip them together.

Mini dump files

Thanks for your post.

I have looked in the Mini Dump Folder adn there are 18 files! Two of these match previous crashes that I noted ref no's for. (which were indeed the blue screen of death but never stayed up long engough for me to read the detail) - Oh and they are just sudden and then the PC starts up fine and can run for days or a couple of weeks before crashing again.

I have zipped these two files which are now attached.

Thanks again.

R.
PS I cant view the .dmp files so have no idea what is in them I'm afraid

Both crashes are caused by your AV program. I would uninstall it and replace it with one of the free ones.

I've seen quite a few crashes related to PC Tools programs recently, Spyware Doctor being the main one. If the crashes still occur after removing the AV program then uninstall everything relating to PC Tools.

BugCheck 1000000A, {827e, 1c, 0, 805024ba}
Probably caused by : AVFilter.sys ( AVFilter+2177 )
Image name: AVFilter.sys Timestamp: Wed Apr 11 09:44:42 2007 (461C3D8A)

PC Tools :(

Thank You.

Why is it that when I use free software my PC is fine then when I invest in £ it upsets my PC!..

I bought PC Tools:-

Registry Mechanic
Privacy Guardian
Spyware Doctor
Antivirus

Thats a lot of money over the last couple of years :(

Do you think they will be able to fix the problem or just laugh and tell me 'that's life' or ' PC Tools aint the problem'??

Thank You

R.
PS If I am removing these then the next question is, what / where is a freeware equivalent to them..?

There are much, much better offerings out there and a number of them are free from highly reputable vendors. Just a few quick ones (there are others):

Free Anti-virus - Antivir, Avast

Free Firewalls - Comodo, Sunbelt

Free Antispyware - AVG, SuperAntiSpyware

* Keep in mind they all have paid versions except Comodo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back