Being a Moderator...

The "REAL" uncleel

Moderator by definition is one who presides over, arbitrates, mediates, a meeting, forum, or debate.
This is a volunteer position & we serve @ the discretion of Julio & 3DS. If you read the profiles, moderators tend to be mature w/ experience in the computer fields.

Moderators must first demonstrate they are a person of good character, w/ a combination of qualities & attributes, that would allow them to oversee the forum w/ competency and dependability.

Secondly you must have the time daily to devote to reading the boards . Many people mistakenly think the moderators job is to be the tech experts or forum answer men. That's not exactly true. Your main purpose is to read the boards, enforce TOS, edit/delete violating posts as necessary, welcome the newcomers, & communicate via PM & ICQ w/ other forum leaders.

What we look for (other than your age & maturity) is good manners & forum management. Technical knowledge is secondary, but it helps.

Re: The "REAL" uncleel

Originally posted by uncleel
age & maturity

Uncleel, i hope you are aware that age doesn't necessarily reflect directly on each other. Some adult-aged people i have met on the forums i belong to have been some of the most immature people i've seen. Is there an age requirement to becoming a moderator? I realize that there is an unofficial age requirement, one that sounds like, "your too young" but is there an actual age?

Uncleel is 100% correct.

Also, a moderator should be able to carry a thread and keep it active and interesting. This is what I was told over a year ago. It takes some work and alot of dedication to making 3DS a better place.

I agree with Uncle El and SNGX as well.

While there isn't an iron fisted age requirement, I think you'll find younger people tend to be less mature. I remember how people used to consider me very mature back in my teens.. But honestly, I find that I regret a number of instances on the way I have acted in the past.

When you get older, the regretful situations are still there, but your judgement is more based on a solid understanding of things rather than erratic horomonal patterns. I find people in their teens tend to have "mood swings". Where one may show excellent judgement, it may disappear for a few minutes a week later. This isn't true of everyone, but it does happen quite frequently. There's a certain naiveness that follows as well.. Kind of like the "fresh cadet" or "new kid". This trait tags along the younger variety the most.

I agree, there are some REALLY dumb adults who exhibit very low maturity, standards and vegetable-like thinking patterns.. There are many of them. But all in all, you won't find those here. I think most of the older people that visit this forum are fairly respectable. From what I see though, most of our visitors are the younger variety (around my age, maybe a little less). On the same note, a 30 year old man isn't going to be a moderator if he acts like a *****.

I'm only 20 and I'm by no means fully mature. Life is an ongoing process and I still feel a little better about my judgement every year.. even now.

Age isn't a set limit, but maturity is. I never like to stereotype, but the two go hand in hand. I know there will be things you will remember next year and be like, "Oh man! I'm so dumb!". I'm still doing that and I'm 20 years old.. I don't think it ever stops, but I guess it doesn't happen as frequently as your get older.

Despite my incoherent chatter, my main focus would be on the maturity level and not age. A moderator must show ability, interest, sensibility, a splash of leadership and a good deal of order and favorable judgement.

He is too old... Too old to begin the training....

I'd say maturity and a commitment to upholding the quality of the forums. You don't necessarily have to be a technical genius, but having the ability and interest to keep good threads going, starting off interesting ones, keep good argument going. Being also ruthless when it comes to deleting rubbish and content which might potentially be offensive.

What more to add?

I think you also need to be able to identify yourself to 3DS. It's philosophy should be close to yours.

The "REAL" uncleel

Basically, we Forum Leaders discuss a person's potential among ourselves via ICQ, PM, & Private Discussion Forum.
We take notice of forum "leadership" & the preforementioned qualities. Julio makes the final decision.

Re: What more to add?

Another thing (which is related to age and time) is having been around for a while...

That way people get to "know" you (see how mature you are, in what way you react to things etc.)...

.02$

Hmm. I'm really interested in becoming a moderator. Is there a form or application I need to fill out somewhere?

Hardly

Originally posted by Vehementi
Hmm. I'm really interested in becoming a moderator. Is there a form or application I need to fill out somewhere?

No. I think you've got the wrong idea about moderatorship. You don't become a moderator to boss others around. It is not paid, and most of the time you do not get recognision of your services. You can earn respect on the forums without becoming a moderator (as several here have done, not least Mr. Garibaldi).

Re: He is too old... Too old to begin the training....

Originally posted by Phantasm66
keep good argument going.

haha Phantasm, you and i have special experience with this, do we not? haha

Originally posted by uncleel
Basically, we Forum Leaders discuss a person's potential among ourselves via ICQ, PM, & Private Discussion Forum.

Ah, the truth about the private forums comes out! haha It must be fun to flame people, although i'm sure NO flaming goes on, in a place where the person can't read it... :D

Re: Re: He is too old... Too old to begin the training....

You are quite right my phat friend, no flaming goes on in the private forum.

One of the reasons the importance of maturity is made very clear to prospectors for moderatorship!

PDF forum

Phat, you knew about PDF from all your Q's on the old forum.
http://207.115.70.83/forum/read_msg.phptid=77&forumid=3dscomments
Originally posted by PHATMAN5050:
"...maybe making that private forum available to people with x amount of posts, that way we could filter out some of the people that dont take the forum seriously."
PDF is not some pokémon forum!

"Discussing a person's potential" is part of the 3DS business among forum leaders, & doesn't involve flaming. Obviously, why would you flame a candidate you were seriously considering for forum leadership & admission to PDF?

haha, i'm just kidding uncleel, i know as much as possible about the PDF without actually being allowed in. haha But just because one person is thinking about someone for moderatorship doens't mean other people would think the same way. For instance, i'm sure if someone thought of me eligable for a moderator possition that there would be mixed feelings and much flaming, haha.:D

Do, or do not. There is no try.

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
haha, i'm just kidding uncleel, i know as much as possible about the PDF without actually being allowed in. haha But just because one person is thinking about someone for moderatorship doens't mean other people would think the same way. For instance, i'm sure if someone thought of me eligable for a moderator possition that there would be mixed feelings and much flaming, haha.:D

You will know when the time is right. And so will others.

The PDF is just about discussing TOS, how the forums are progressing, etc. Only real "flaming" is really nothing of the sort, but discussion if someone is out of order or not. Its a lot more business like than just some "club" for popular 3DS members.

In truth, PDF is pretty boring, and there isn't much to see there. Its in the open forums that there is all the action.
You aren't really missing much.

The "REAL" uncleel

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
just because one person is thinking about someone for moderatorship doens't mean other people would think the same way.

And that is why my friend, PDF is made up of mature individuals in a group decision process.

That name no longer has any meaning for me

Originally posted by Rick
I remember how people used to consider me very mature back in my teens.. But honestly, I find that I regret a number of instances on the way I have acted in the past.

Ah, Jeez tell me about it!! I CRINGE when I think about how I used to look, behave, speak, walk, talk, the things I used to believe, the thing I did, the way I dressed, ALL OF IT!!!!!

Your 20's is a more settling time, where you get to know yourself better and realise what your own talents, skills, weaknesses and limitations are. You are more realistic about the world and about yourself, which is why you will probably do much better in relationships when you are 20+

Maturity and belief in the forums is probably the key. If you can demonstrate both in abundance, you are on your way.

Also, as I previously said, the thought and observational skills to keep good conversations flowing, etc.

Its a responsibility (BEING A MOD) and isn't merely a licence to delete / edit anything the comes in your way that you don't like. You have to respect the opinions of others, even if you don't like them or what they are saying. You are free to reply to them, and argue with them, but not to delete things you don't like... So long as that person said it in a sensible and inoffensive way. And, of course, there's simple rubbish to delete (meaningless rants, flames, etc...)

Chiefly its the deletion / editing of content that is, primarily, in some way offensive. And here we must make no compromises. We are talking PG (guidance) level here. Its not a U world... after all, its not www.teletubbies.com , but we have to remember that there could be an 8 year old computing genius reading the stuff here, and respect that. Whilst that kid will learn all kinds of adult stuff in the playground, its not our place to teach them about sexual swear words and so forth.

The last thing I would want is that 8 year old's Mum e-mailing me to complain about their kid learning bad language / being exposed to sexual references here. Or worst still Julio taking the rap for it. Its our job as Mods to make sure that that doesn't happen, and that 3DS is gentlemanly, mature family computing discussion. If you want to flirt with someone, or use bad words, there are plenty of chat things out there for that! Its intelligent and intellectual discussion here, please!

If the majority of the regular membership thought that you (OR ANY MEMBER) were up for that, and another moderator was needed, then that is likely what would happen. There is nothing more to it.

I don't know but I would think with the addition of Arris and the others after the time I was made moderator, I think there are enough mods for now....

Any others differ in opinion???

Ah, I understand now...I wasn't looking into moderatorship to boss others around or anything like that, I just wanted tobecome more of a part of the 3DS community, to support it better, 'cause I think it's a great place.
I also think that 3DS should stay the way it is, and not become some meeting ground for the people who have alot of posts, and stay as it is right now. Besides, everyone would just post useless information in order to get up to the specified amount of posts, then just goof off in it. Even if the PDF did exist, it should be only for people who understand and reply to people's questions, and honestly help them. Like a moderator...

Comprehension skills are necessary here

I also think that 3DS should stay the way it is, and not become some meeting ground for the people who have alot of posts, and stay as it is right now. Besides, everyone would just post useless information in order to get up to the specified amount of posts, then just goof off in it. Even if the PDF did exist, it should be only for people who understand and reply to people's questions, and honestly help them. Like a moderator...

Private Discussion Forum (PDF) does exist! And you are still presuming moderators act as tech support. Haven't you read what was already said?

Uncleel made it quite clear I think.

Moderator by definition is one who presides over, arbitrates, mediates, a meeting, forum, or debate.
This is a volunteer position & we serve @ the discretion of Julio & 3DS. If you read the profiles, moderators tend to be mature w/ experience in the computer fields.

Moderators must first demonstrate they are a person of good character, w/ a combination of qualities & attributes, that would allow them to oversee the forum w/ competency and dependability.

Secondly you must have the time daily to devote to reading the boards . Many people mistakenly think the moderators job is to be the tech experts or forum answer men. That's not exactly true. Your main purpose is to read the boards, enforce TOS, edit/delete violating posts as necessary, welcome the newcomers, & communicate via PM & ICQ w/ other forum leaders.

I meant phatman's PDF for people with x amount of posts. And I don't generally think of moderators as tech support, that's just a part of their being in 3DS. You guys answer the most questions here, I'm not saying you're ALL for tech support. If you guys aren't tech support, why do you have so many posts?

I meant phatman's PDF for people with x amount of posts. And I don't generally think of moderators as tech support, that's just a part of their being in 3DS. You guys answer the most questions here, I'm not saying you're ALL for tech support. If you guys aren't tech support, why do you have so many posts?

Vehementi, I'll quote myself on what I said earlier in this thread.

Originally posted by svtcobra
Uncleel is 100% correct.

Also, a moderator should be able to carry a thread and keep it active and interesting. This is what I was told over a year ago. It takes some work and alot of dedication to making 3DS a better place.

Another tip to be liked on this forum: NEVER, under any circumstance, agree with me. NEVER! It will just make everyone hate you. haha JK

Back