Belkin network problems

By lazycow29
Jul 8, 2006
  1. Ive owned my laptop for about 6 months now and after much pestering my mum (im 16) finally said i could have the internet on it. So my brother brought a 'Belkin wireless router' He installed it and set it up but theres a problem.

The big one is i cannot get the internet on my laptop. After looking at WLAN utility it says that it isnt connected. I dont know what to do. Ive rebooted the router as belkin said to do on the website. Ive noticed that it a window comes up and says it cannot find the tcp/ip

Im completely stuck and really upset because ive been looking forward t the internet on my lapyop for a long time. thanks for your help.
  2. pcaceit

pcaceit TS Rookie Posts: 315

Hi and welcome.

Well first of all have you switched the Wireless adapter on your laptop on?
    there's usually a little sliding switch at the front, back, side, or underneath your laptop. check the manual and the manual wil show you where?
  3. lazycow29

lazycow29 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanx... i will try this... i will let u know what happens
  4. lazycow29

I cant find one
  5. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

what model and brand is your laptop? you can find this information on the bottom of the laptop on one of the many stickers..
  6. lazycow29

Its a cybercom
  7. N3051M

Unfortunatly, cybercom doesnt mean anything to me at this stage. We need to be more specific in order to help you.

If it is a laptop, then flip the laptop over on its back, and on one of the stickers it will state a Model No. or something similar.. If you dont know whats what then post us everything you see on it. If its a pc, then the sticker should be at the back or on the side.

Otherwise, if you cant find any info, or is custom built, download Everest Home or SIW and save a report on it (all of the info). Attach it to your post as a .txt attachment. I dont have the links on me right now, so you will have to google them for a download.

I have a feeling that your laptop may not have inbuilt wifi, but to confirm do the above..
  8. lazycow29

I have found out it is a cybercom MD42792... i have also found out that there is no external switch on my laptop
  9. N3051M

Please dont make multiple threads about the same thing. Even if this forum runs 24/7, some participants do have real life commitments and others need sleep :)

Theres not much info on your laptop as i'd hope for, but i'll try and do the best with info at hand.

Right click My computer>properties>Hardware>device manager
    Go under Network adaptors, expand the tree (click on the +). Tell me what it says under it. If there's any yellow question marks, try and locate the drivers for it and install it. If there is any with a small red x as part of its icon, then right click>enable

Goto Network connections. Is there any thing under the heading of Wireless Networks? what else is there, please post. If there is anything with a red X again, then right click>enable..

Download SIW and post a report like i posted in my previous post.
  10. lazycow29

Im sorry... i know it was wrong but i guess you will do anything when your desperate... i wont do it again...

I will try and do what it says but i am afraid my response will not be for a while because i have to go out somewhere for a while. I will reply as soon as i can... thank you very... very much for your help
  11. pcaceit

pcaceit TS Rookie Posts: 315

Hi again lazycow.

I assumed that your wireless Lan was built into your laptop because you did not say whether you were using a USB plug in type.

but as you said that the WLAN config utility showed "not connected" then there is obviously a WLAN device either connected or built into your Laptop.

if it is a built in one then there is generally a switch or possible a keypress sequence to switch the radio signal on and off because if it was on all the time it would make your battery run down quicker.

so before we can help you we need to know exactly what's going on
    so run the config utility and tell us if it shows any available networks and if it shows your belkin router and whether it says encryption,security type (usually tkip, wpa,wep etc..)?
  12. PC Clinic

PC Clinic TS Rookie

Here is how to switch it on

So you want to enable a wireless link on a Cybercom.

Look on your keyboard for the FN key in the lower left corner, hold this while pressing F2 and voila.

Your wireless will switch on.

PC Clinic
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.