Belkin picks up Linksys home router business from Cisco

By Jos
Jan 25, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Cisco Systems, the world’s biggest maker of computer-networking equipment, is looking to further distance itself from the consumer space with the sale of its home networking business unit to Belkin for an undisclosed amount. The transaction includes the company’s Linksys...

Read more
  2. supertech

supertech TechSpot Member Posts: 81   +9

Good move for Cisco to dump this product. its an eyesore dor the conapny. Garbage bought garbage.
  3. Vicenarian

Vicenarian TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 100   +9

Linksys routers aren't exactly 'garbage'; they make many quality products. I've used them extensively in home/small business installations and they work great. Generally very reliable, and very much configurable. What other consumer-level routers out there would you rank as being better? D-Link? I don't think so. I've seen more D-Links fail than any other brand.
  4. Mavrickx888

Mavrickx888 TechSpot Member Posts: 64   +9

Garbage? I think that's a bit harsh... I'm assuming you've had some extremely negative issues with them.

I've had nothing but positive experiences with Linksys products. Granted, it's been a while since I've used them extensively, but I have many of their older products that are still fully functional and easy to use. I have an old WRT54G that I bought 7 years ago. It's been on non-stop (Except for power outages, moving, etc.) and has never needed to be fiddled with. I've also had a USB and PCI Wireless card that I still use to this day, despite being ages old. Their stuff just works and lasts forever. Can't say the same about Belkin, or 2wire, or D-Link... come to think of it I can't really same the same about any of the other home networking companies. Hopefully Belkin doesn't screw it up.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.