Bent usb prongs - shut comp off

Status
Not open for further replies.
ill get right to the point.

i have an ibm thinkpad laptop. this laptop has dual usb ports, one on top of the other. a while back, the pins on the upper usb port got bent because i was forcing a cable in the wrong way. ever since then, when i would plug something into the upper usb port (accidently) the computer would turn off or restart so i would have to boot back up again.

just recently i accidently plugged into the top usb port and the computer turned off. this time it wont turn back on.

im not worried about the bent usb prongs but i really need to get my computer to turn back on.

any help on what to do, what might have gone wrong, what i shorted would be HIGHLY appreciated.

Usb uses the 5v rail, you should have stopped using the port when it first went wrong. Im afraid to say, its gonna cost you to get a problem like that fixed on a laptop!!!!!

rik said:
Usb uses the 5v rail, you should have stopped using the port when it first went wrong. Im afraid to say, its gonna cost you to get a problem like that fixed on a laptop!!!!!

about how much?
should i just get a new laptop?

Shorting the USB contacts is not good practice.. I have seen front panel USB cables that had their insulation layer burned off :D Amazingly it was the PSU that finally gave way and not the motherboard.

It could be that you fried something permanently, but it could also be that the USB contacts are still connected and the machine doesn't turn on because the short is still there.

Look inside the port and see if you can separate the pins. Once the machine works again, fill the bad port with superglue or block it in some other way!

A good idea from Nodsu there!!!

Tman, i have no idea whatsoever how much it will cost to get it fixed for 2 reasons!!!! 1 - You haven't said where in the world you are!!!!
2 - I steer clear of laptops because i know they are very expensive to get fixed!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back