BeOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone give me some info about what exactly beos is? I know its an operating system, thats about it, hah.

1. is it a unix based system? or what?
2. compatibility?

info!!!!

hehe

BeOS is not dead as long as there's at least one user using it! New applications or updates are being released almost every day at BeBits

From BeOS package:
BeOS is stable
Former CEO of Apple Europe, Jean-Louis Gasseé came up with the BeOS project. The central idea was simple and powerful: restarting from scratch and develop the most reliable system. Written in C++, BeOS is object oriented. It is a dynamic, responsive and well thought operating system, which takes into account all your needs and torments.

BeOS is easy to use
BeOS is very easy to use. You will make friends with your PC again! Moving around applications, folders and files is a piece of cake. BeOS is convenient, intuitive and well designed. Create multiple virtual desktops. You can have up to 32 workspaces active at a time, and switch between one another. This will change the way you look at ergonomy!

BeOS is easy to install
Install BeOS right alongside Windows, Linux or Mac OS. At startup, just choose which system to load. It is that simple! You can even read and copy data from files created in other operating systems to BeOS.

BeOS is a multitask system
Launch applications, run multiple audio and video streams, burn audio CDs, print, access menus, switch between windows, go on line... With BeOS you can do many actions at a time. There is no waiting for commands to finish executing. BeOS boots in less than 20 seconds and applications load faster than ever.

BeOS is a multiprocessing system
Designed from the ground up to handle high-bandwidth digital media, BeOS delivers unprecedented speed and power on Intel-based computers. BeOS is the only operating system that lets you take full advantage of 1 to 8 processors. You can boost performances by nearly 100% by adding a second processor.

BeOS support protected memory
With BeOS, each application runs in its own protected memory space. If one application crashes, the system and other applications don't even flinch. Just reload the application that crashed. Need to install a new application or tool? Do it without rebooting. You can even add hardware on the fly.

BeOS is Internet oriented
Thanks to its fully integrated TCP/IP protocol, BeOS offers immediate access to the Internet. Messaging and Internet browsing tools are built-in (not locked in). Any BeOS system is able to serve up web pages right from the start.

BeOS and Open source
You are a developer? Be Happy! BeOS includes all the tools you need to develop applications. You, lucky! Be Inc. decided to give open source of the Tracker and Deskbar.
http://www.opentracker.org
http://www.opendeskbar.org

To answer your questions, fuka:
1 - BeOS is not UNIX based system. It's somewhat POSIX compliant - in other words, Unix applications that don't use graphics are likely to compile under BeOS. It has its own GUI which has nothing to do with XFree86 (or other UNIX GUIs).
2 - There's a compatibility list at http://hardware.frizbe.net
You'll see that quite a lot of recent hardware work with it.

Infact before Apple invested in NeXT they had made an offer to buy BeOS to build their latest MacOS on. Just their offer hadn't seemed good enough at the time for the owner to sell, now Palm have acquired BeOS as Mic says ;)

Shows you what the big boys thought about BeOS.

BeOS should of been the OS of the future. I find it more stable, faster, compliant, than any other OS on the market.

My wife, who is very very computer illiterit, found it easier to use the Be operating enviroment than Windows XP! Sure, its not the tweakers/hackers paradice like Linux, and it's not as wide spread as Windows, but they sure but together an OS that gave the competition a hefty scare. :eek:

I ususally just ignore beOS. But after reading that FAQ that Mictlantecuhtli posted, i must say my interest is peaked, to say the least. I was thinking of making a dedicated Linux box, but know I'm undecided as to whether i want Linux or beOS. what do you all think?

p.s. Sorry for hijacking this thread a bit

Is BEOs still available? the company site has that forbidiing air of "we're closed" on it, and I know Palm bought the staff and technology last november. If so, where? I've got personal edition, but i want the full pro version

Pro isn't free because it contains some licensed software such as RealPlayer G2 & MP3 encoder. It might still be available in some stores, possibly with a bargain price. Also, you might want check out BeoS Developer's Edition. Are there specific reasons why PE isn't enough? You can create BFS partitions with its DriveSetup and copy the files there, bypassing that 500M limit.
Actually, I have R4.5 and R5 Pro, originals, for sale :).

The only problem I have with PE is the boot disk. If I could use a boot loader, it would be fine. Real Player doesn't interest me, and I still have XP with its patched version of MP8 to encode MP3's

Originally posted by MYOB
The only problem I have with PE is the boot disk. If I could use a boot loader, it would be fine.
You can, if you do as I said earlier, ie. copy the files into a real BFS partition (and install BootMan or similar tool). As you might know, BeOS is installed simply by copying the files to another drive.

I remembered that as soon as i went offline, and i've done it. And my two Windows OS's are working too, so my triple boot is properly up and running. So now i casn get rid of my ancient Win95 machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back