Votes: 4 50.0%
  • other

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

alisbin

hey all,
with the sage advice of y'all, i've fixed on getting an 8800 gts, but i'm dithering a bit as to which one.
the two i'm mainly considering are the msi and the xfx, both get good reviews on newegg and the msi is cheaper, but more of the reviews for the xfx mention relatively low temp and more of the msi reviews mention higher temp. i've currently got an xfx 7600 gt and i like xfx in general, never had an msi card.
basically, does the xfx version actually provide lower temp and higher reliability? oh, the msi card is their OC version (can't find a non oc version) so it does have higher stats.
thoughts? better brand i missed? (looked at the evga had the worst reviews of all 3 on newegg)

The eVGA 8800GTS Superclocked edition is the best variation of the 8800GTS (VERY popular).

However, the GeForce 8800GT was released recently. It offers BETTER performance than the 8800GTS for a LOWER price. If you've been waiting for the perfect card before upgrading to DX10, the 8800GT is the one.

And yes, ONE 8800GT beats any 8800GTS, no SLI needed.

I just built a new rig, a 6760 core2duo and I decided on the XFX 8800GTS /w 320MBs of ram. I looked up OCing on the 8800s with lots of results, and turns out my card OCs about as well as the best one's are. I would go with the XFX, cause if you get Rivatuner you turn the fan on 100% and it never gets hot (like 55C max from memory), and I went from 575MHz(GPU) > 641MHz(GPU), and 1800MHz(RAM) > 1974MHz(RAM). Test in every fashonable way. So thats live proof in my physical hands that the XFX card does very well. Oh and I lucked out, if you plop a 6750 in a Asus P5K-E with a nice copper heatsink, she'll bounce right up to 3.52GHz happily. If only I remembered to go with DDR1066 rather than 800 my FSB would be a bit faster, but I suppose I can live with 1.8GHz :p

EVGA has a lifetime warranty in the 8800 GT & GTS models. That's a very good thing and not all vendors provide lifetime. You have to register though. I looked up that 8800 GT and it is better than the GTS. I would have bought one instead of my GTS if I had known. One saving grace is the N'Tune overclocking feature. With that I can reach the same core clock and memory figures. I've been looking at AMD/ATI and their new 512 bit processor but it's not performing better than Nvidia stuff.

BFG are a good brand with lifetime warranty and excellent customer support, plus their products come overclocked a bit already

my 6800gs is a bfg and i've had no problems with it and i expect you could overclock it well with a good third party heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back