best AGP graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey i recently bought Oblivion which runs at about 8fps im pretty sure this is due to my graphics card (NVIDIA Geforce FX 5700) as i have a 3.4Ghz processor and 1GB of ram so i want to upgrade but i have just discovered that my pc doesnt have a pci express slot.
I was wondering what would be the best AGP card for games like Oblivion and Neverwinter Nights 2.
If theres nothing worthwhile would it be possible to put in a PCI - E slot?
These are my motherboard specs http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...ca&lc=en&dlc=en&product=411375&dlc=en&lang=en

Try this link to AGP cards
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=318&
The 7800 GS Extreme is a decent card, but AGP is just about a thing of the past. I firmly believe that the present cards on the market are the end for the AGP platform.
As far as putting in a PCI-e slot, you can't do that without swapping out your motherboard for one that has PCI-e, Your current motherboard only has a 4X AGP slot, so even though you can put an 8X AGP card into it (with a compatible 8X/4X AGP card), you don't have a PCI-e dedicated slot. So, if you're going to do that, you might as well upgrade your processor, RAM and power supply while you're at it. This way, it gives you room to upgrade in the future. Your current board doesn't allow that.

eVGA 7800 GS CO Superclock is going to be the fastest AGP card out there. I've got it with my Core 2 Duo and am satisfied with its performance. Still can't run F.E.A.R. at 1600x1200, and I'm sure there are a few other games you can't run at Max settings, but there are a lot of games you can.

drizzt2k2 said:
bugger.. well thanks anyway must have bought my pc a couple of months too early

It doesn't matter when you bought your current system. Any computer manufacturer like HP, Dell, Sony or any other, don't offer decent gaming machines unless you specifically order one with the proper power and components. This custom gaming computer would be way over priced, just like all 'Store Bought" mainstream systems are...

You should build one of your own, or have one built. This custom computer would be much cheaper, and much, much better in the long run

I think the best AGP card at the moment is the X1950pro. Very fast card. Outperforms the 7800GS.

best AGP graphics card?

Threads titled like this one always make me laugh :) The best this, the best that... It's all relative, isn't it? The best card for my system could very well be different, than the best card for your system

Before you buy something for video expansion, make sure your power supply unit (PSU) is powerful enough to handle the card you are getting.

Tmagic650 said:
best AGP graphics card?

Threads titled like this one always make me laugh :) The best this, the best that... It's all relative, isn't it? The best card for my system could very well be different, than the best card for your system

Luckily, he was a little more specific than that

I was wondering what would be the best AGP card for games like Oblivion and Neverwinter Nights 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back