Best ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulfgar84

Hi guys!
I'm new here and i need some issues 'bout a problem with my video card.
While i'm playing high-demanding 3D games, after 10-20 mins the screen goes blue and i must restart my system.Only blue, no BSOD messagges.
I think it's a problem with card overheating.
I tried to open the case panel for more airflow (i have a WaveMaster from CoolerMaster, with 2 front-intake fans, 1 top-exaust fan, 1 rear-exaust fan and the case temp never rise above 38°C at full load), but the result was nearly the same;it take a bit longer to crash.
On my 9800 pro i've mounted a Zalman VF700 Al-Cu, but i think it's not enough :mad:
so, which is a better cooler for my radeon?
thanks in advance

Wulf

If a VF700 will not cool your card no other cooler will either, the VF700 is one of if not the best GFX card cooler money can buy bar watercooling...

So there must be something else that is wrong with your card... Tried a reinstall of the latest drivers or maybe your whole OS?

Maybe the card got damaged by static electricity or you are just plain unlucky and got a card that is DOA, ok, maybe not Dead but close too ;-)

EDIT; Just FYI I have a passive Zalman heatpipe cooler on my 9800Pro 128mb and it works just fine... I can even OC it to: 413,44/367,88 (Core/MEM)

Mmm...

I dunno,i started having problems with this card after install Windows SP1 & SP2...
I've tried everything to solve the problem (reinstalling OS, changing HDDs,reinstalling drivers) but nothing.
I've tested my memory ram with memtest86 and it shows no problems;my CPU is constantly below 50°C.
I've readed many posts about problems on radeon 9xxx series on this forum (and i have experienced 90% of them, including "IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" one :dead: ), at least probably I have to change my GPU with Nvidia (6600 GT AGP, for example) to solve my problem... :(
I think it's an oveerheating problem because with the case opened, the system crashes after some more mins (20-25 instead of 15 mins).
Strange thing: while playing with newest titles (battlefield 2, rome total war) system crashes; when i'm playing America's Army @ max details it has never failed... :confused: Hardware-Hell-Secrets... :evil:
Any other ideas?
and thank you for your reply :D

EDIT:Another weird thing: i've tried to OC it, and with ATiTool it works fine @ 432.00/385.00 for over an hour without crashes... :eek:

Other Zalman Cooler

I will try the Zalman VGA Heatpipe ZM 80 D with a fan installed instead of my Vf700...You think the try worth the ~35$ the cooler costs? :suspiciou

No, do absolutley not try the "Zalman VGA Heatpipe ZM 80 D" on your card if you think you have overheating problems

It cools considerably less compared to a VF700... It's only benefit is that it is quiet since it does not require a fan...

My guess is that your cards GPU is malfunctioning, but only a certain part of it that the games that do crash uses but the ones that work fine do not use... I've experienced this myself with Far Cry, a computer that had worked flawlessly overclocked at speed X could not run Far Cry, downcloking to default speed solved the problem...

If you still have warranty on the card try to get it exchanged

Thank you for make me saving hard-earned 35$...i thought what with a more dissipating surface, it will work better...besides, my card in not under warranty anymore...i think i'll switch to a nvidia 6600 gt...hoping that with it the problem is solved

If you are not too impatient might I suggest you wait for the 6800GS AGP card? Due in less than a month and retailing for less than 249$ (MSRP)

Or if you are not too angry at ATI their X800XL AGP card is also a nice deal if you can find it on eBay or an etailer for around the same money as the 6800GS

ATi owe me one, so i think i'm giving nVidia a chance...I've found a bulk 6800 Ultra AGP on eBay for 330 € (yes, euros...I type from Italy ;) ) so i'm thinking 'bout it...
Anyway, thanks again for your replies :D

On second thought this could be caused by the heatsink not being properly monuted, are you sure it makes perfect contact with the GPU core and are you using high-quality thermal compund?

Maybe take the cooler off and see if the thermal compound has been squeesed out in an even nice shape...

It's too bad it's not a XT you have because those have a GPU thermal diode that you can monitor with Powerstrip for example... But you could try hooking a normal temperature meter with some duct tape on the opposite side of the cards GPU and see how hot it gets...

The 9800's PCB works as a big heatsink also, so it is supposed to get quite hot... But not over 50-60°C

News:today i've bought 2 games, Gun and Quake 4.
I can play Quake 4 for nearly 4 hours without problems!!!!!
(as I remember, also Doom3 had no problems while gaming)
???
Probably Battlefield 2 isn't my game...my card simply doesn't like it... ;)
BTW, the Zalman is well mounted.I have recently changed the old termal compound with Arctic Silver 5 (before i start the post and after having problems).
The temp on the ATi is 39.5°C @ full load, so...
I have no more ideas... :|

Last Minidumps to find where problem is

I will try to run the scan for artifacts. on other hand, can anyone tell me something 'bout these minidumps?
i've already did all the things listed in the post regarding the attachment of minidumps (verify temps, underclock all,scan hdd health status, and so on).
Hoping someone can help me :rolleyes:,

Wulfgar84

I'm sorry, did not notice your reply...

All those minidumps seem to point to a memory problem

Run Memtest86+ http://www.memtest.org/ for a long time (more than one complete run)

If it does not find any problems try removing a few sticks of RAM if you have multiple or move around the sticks, if there is dust in the memory socket blow it away with compressed air, don't use a vacuum cleaner; too much static electricity...

When my card was overheating (also a 9800PRO) the games just froze. There would be a few beeps and then, freeze. The fan was clogged, so I removed the dust and hey presto it worked fine. For me the memory seems more likely, go with Memtest like PerHansson suggested. If possible leave it running overnight for more thourough results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back