Best AV software if I use XP Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wubuscmh

I have major problems with getting my laptop hijacked, but on a separate note I currently run Windows XP Home and just purchased Windows XP Pro. Should I wait until I get my hijack situation under control before trying to install this new OS in my system? And also, what is the best anti-virus software to buy in my situation? Norton? AVG? Mcafee? (Although I'm very reluctant to get Norton AV 2005 seeing that there are so many complaints recently.)

Thanks for any advice.
-wubuscmh

Getting a new OS would be the perfect opportunity to freshly install your whole PC.
Backup your personal data first, then reformat the HD.

The free AVG is more than adequate. Combined with an also free firewall from Sygate/Kerios/Agnitum/ZoneLabs you will be well protected.
Also get Adaware and Spybot S&D, and run them (always updated) at least once a week.

At all cost, stay away from Norton's bloatware!

Best free AV is AVG

I agree with BlackStuff - AVG personal is the best of all currently available 'free' anti-virus packages, in particular if you are still on dial-up access. It does not download the complete virus library at each update, only additions, and astonishingly, is able to restart an interrupted download at the point it left off. This leaves some other free things standing, especially Norton Bloatware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back