Best Buy is making changes to its loyalty program

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Best Buy is actively e-mailing My Best Buy loyalty program members with regard to changes that’ll go into effect August 28. Chief among them is a move to free two-day shipping across multiple member tiers.

Standard members will get free two-day shipping on “thousands” of items with a minimum $35 purchase. Elite-level membership eliminates the minimum purchase and adds free scheduled delivery on the same “thousands” of items while Elite Plus affords free two-day shipping and free scheduled delivery with no minimum purchase on seemingly any item purchased, putting it in line with something like Amazon Prime (without Amazon’s other benefits, of course).

As always, Best Buy offers free in-store pickup if you need your new tech ASAP.

It’s also worth mentioning the changes that are coming as it relates to point accumulation.

Standard members that currently receive one point for every $1 spent will receive 0.5 points per dollar after August 28. Similarly, Elite members that currently get 1.1 point per buck will see that dropped down to 1.0 for each dollar. Top-level Elite Plus members will see no change, continuing to receive 1.25 points per every dollar spent for the foreseeable future.

Image courtesy Jeramey Lende, Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

Some of that stuff has always been their. This is just a minor change, it's nothing major.
What you been smoking? lol

This is all different, and free 2 day shipping is a big deal if you ask me. Also, slashing point accumulation is also a big deal. 1.0 to .5 for standard is a big hit.

Rolling back perks.
Their program must be hurting the bottom line.
Typical.

Looks like they are just rolling back for standard members (points), but adding the chance to get free 2 day shipping. 1.1 to 1.0 for Elite is no big deal, plus better 2 day shipping.

Some of that stuff has always been their. This is just a minor change, it's nothing major.
What you been smoking? lol

This is all different, and free 2 day shipping is a big deal if you ask me. Also, slashing point accumulation is also a big deal. 1.0 to .5 for standard is a big hit.

Really? I thought the free 2 day shipping was always there. I've used it plenty of times as an elite plus member.

Seems like a rip off for Elite Plus members...there is no changes at all for them... and now what is the difference between a Elite Member and an Elite Plus member? you need to spend $2,000 more than an elite member to become an Elite Plus member but now there is hardly any difference between them as far as benefits...so dumb!

Seems like a rip off for Elite Plus members...there is no changes at all for them... and now what is the difference between a Elite Member and an Elite Plus member? you need to spend $2,000 more than an elite member to become an Elite Plus member but now there is hardly any difference between them as far as benefits...so dumb!

1.0 points to 1.5 points, thats a good sized difference. Plus it says "thousands of items" for Elite, and Plus says "everything" for 2 day shipping. Interested to see the difference and what can/cannot get 2 day shipping on Elite.

Ever since Best Buy introduced the Gamers Club Unlocked and started price matching Newegg, Amazon, and other online stores, they have become pretty much the only place I shop at for electronics. A lot of video games come with a $10 pre-order credit too. I've racked up a lot of rewards points and am at Elite Plus status.

I don't really understand the continued dislike for them. They have the same prices as other stores if price matched, and they have a loyalty program, something that hardly any stores (online or B&M) have, yet people complain when Best Buy makes changes to it. These other stores don't even have a loyalty program and you're not really saving money due to the price matching! How can you complain?

Last edited:
Ever since Best Buy introduced the Gamers Club Unlocked and started price matching Newegg, Amazon, and other online stores, they have become pretty much the only place I shop at for electronics. A lot of video games come with a $10 pre-order credit too. I've racked up a lot of rewards points and am at Elite Plus status.

I don't really understand the continued dislike for them.

I could not agree more. I will admit a few years back they had some short comings, but they really have evolved. Additionally sometimes we as consumers need to take a hard look at ourselves and take some responsibility at times. No one is perfect and mistakes happen. It's what we do to correct the mistakes that stand out. If we stay rational and seek to understand no wrong will be had.

Present state Best Buy is absolutely the one stop shop for anything electronics. Their employees seem a lot happier too (At least where I live)

I don't really understand the continued dislike for them. They have the same prices as other stores if price matched, and they have a loyalty program, something that hardly any stores (online or B&M) have, yet people complain when Best Buy makes changes to it. These other stores don't even have a loyalty program and you're not really saving money due to the price matching! How can you complain?
I absolutely LOVE their loyalty program. I have a $85 certificate waiting for me right now. Because of price matching, seeing in store, and points, Best Buy is always my first stop.

Back