TechSpot

Best card for £150?

By Phobz
May 21, 2007
  1. Hi everyone

I'm after a new graphics card and have £150 to spend, which would be the best card for me to get (or should I save up more). I got oblivion for my xbox360 and to be honest, i prefer morrowind much more and they ain't going to backwards compatible it to xbox360 (took ages upto now) :( so getting for pc, just needing a card which is basically going to give me best performance on this game mostly.

Edit: would be cool to play some of the newer games out today aswell though, any advice be much appreciated =o

Cheers in advance
    Paul :)

2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

I recommend an nvidia card, always get a model that ends with either GT or GTX. GS and GSX models have deliberately limited performance, but they cost less. You're better off getting a GT or GTX model. If you provide some specs of your system (mobo, PSU, CPU, RAM, etc.) i could be a lot more specific.

3. Phobz

Phobz TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks zephead, I can give you an idea of what I have now but can't remember off the top of my head.

2 x 512 geil ddr2 ram
    asus nvidia mobo (this is what im not too sure about model etc)
    amd 3000+
    2 x 250 maxtor hd's (1 i use for windows / games / apps - 2nd i use for storage)
    currently using the onboard gfx card (ati blew up after 3-4 month usage)! I think i'll go with nvidia next he he
    psu (i would have to get back to you with this)

Hopefully this will be of some use I will get all the proper details later tonight when i'm home. thanks for the info on the t/s ranges (didn't have a clue about this) so it's always better to go with gt / gtx.

Cheers matey
    Paul

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.