TechSpot

Best download manager

By duku
Feb 16, 2002
  1. What is, in your oppinion, the best download manager?

Mine goes to GetRight 4.5c (but I also heard good words about Download Accelerator 5.2.0.4) :cool:

2. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,564   +329

I'm using download accelerator 5.0 I think, haven't had major issues with it, I only use it for getting better download rates for large files though, believe it or not, I'm still on dial up.

3. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

I think that Download Accelerator Plus works great. I have rarely had problems with it, maybe once or twice, since I have been using it for a few years. It makes things go much faster.

4. duku

duku TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 41

Well, I guess only 2 people from this forum make downloads and use a download manager? :(

So far the winner is DAP...:D

5. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

I download things, too. My browser has a built-in download manager! :D I can stop downloads whenever I want and continue later.

6. duku

What browser do you use, to permit resuming download?

7. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

FlashGet works better for me then DAP. You can try it here -> FlashGet @ Amazesoft

It has everything that DAP does but a few other extras...

8. uncleel

uncleel TS Rookie Posts: 1,145

Best of all it's FREE

Download Accelerator
    " Accelerates downloads, resumes files, download multiple files. Best of all it's FREE "

9. TS | Thomas

TS | Thomas TS Rookie Posts: 1,327

Happy with Getright here.

10. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

NetPositive 2.2.2

11. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

Download Accelerator all the way!!

12. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

When it comes to options, features and "intelligent" downloading, GoZilla!, Getright and Flashget are probasbly your best bet.

I use DAP, only because I don't have a WHOLE LOT of downloading to do anymore. If you are downloading multiple files and plan to queue them for later... If you need complete automation.. DAP is not exactly for you. Getright and Gozilla have a much better queueu system. Infact, Gozilla (despite making annoying dragon-like sounds) also speeds up downloads much in the same way DAP does. You may want to try it out.. I haven't used it in over a year though.

13. duku

BTW, why DAP is referred as belonging to "download accelerators" category and GetRight, FlashGet, Go!zilla to "download managers"? As far as I seen they all do pretty much the same thing. I.m. there is another way to accelerate a d/l than segmented downloading (and mirror searching).

Apropos, GetRight is the only d.m. which has a good and dedicated file/mirror service (www.filemirrors.com), only FlashGet has a similar function, limited only to Lycos search.

14. m1066ad

m1066ad TS Rookie Posts: 16

DAP isn't spyware...just a consideration...

15. ToRN

ToRN TS Rookie Posts: 189

cable will be operational in heaven in the 2nd quarter of 2010

Why when there is broadband? :D

16. Mac_Bug

Mac_Bug TS Rookie Posts: 62

Thumbs down for flashget

Even though I still use it.... (call me hypocrit)

FlashGet for example, doesn't keep track of whats in your download folder, what's there, and what is not. It also doesn't track file sizes, and if it was run out of harddrive space it crashes, then you lose your whole 'database' history of downloads, even though they were never much use anyway.

17. boeingfixer

boeingfixer TS Rookie Posts: 1,245

Download Manager

I have used alot of them in the past but always pick either download accelerator or gozilla. Both worked extremely well and with broadband seemed to work even better....

18. lokem

lokem TS Rookie Posts: 773

Anyone here tried NetAnts (www.netants.com)? It's free and it supports segmented d/lding as well.

19. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 794

I use Getright and have no real problems with it, it supports segmented downloads (not really any use to me on 56k though) etc. and integrates nicely with any browser

20. DogStar

DogStar TS Rookie Posts: 142

My biased opinion would have to be DAP, for all the reasons given.:)

21. ontguy

ontguy TS Rookie

I don't use one, but if I was to choose one it would be:

Download Accelerator

I have used Gozilla, and Get Right in the pass.
    But I don't used any.
    I get a fast enough download without it.

22. lokem

It seems that the resume download feature in IE6 is kinda working correctly right now. Anyone tried this yet?

23. ontguy

ontguy TS Rookie

I don't think it works, from what I remember.

No offically testing behind that.

24. duku

And could you please explain us how can you pause/resume a d/l in Internet Explorer 6?

From my sad experience, if you are disconnected, you lose all and must restart the d/l from beginning :(

25. lokem

THe resuming feature is actually done automatically once you're disconnected from the server while d/lding. Clicking on the exact link that you've clicked will prompt the save file dialog again. But instead of d/lding from the start, it will resume from where it stopped. Not sure whether this will survive a system reboot or not.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.