Best free firewall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

a1nerd

I am looking for a firewall for my system. I am using bulldog right now but it is slowing down my computer.

Please, please, please use the search feature. We don't need another one of those "best" threads.

Zone Alarm Pro is the only firewall I have used until just lately. After having problems with it shutting down on it's own everynow and then, a problem that I couldn't fix, I tried Outpost Firewall, which is very popular. After dumping McAfee AV and Zone Alarm Pro, both of which I paid for, my computer boots way faster, shuts down immediately, and surfs the net so much faster that it's amazing. I didn't know how much the apps were holding things back.

I'd recommend free Outpost Firewall and free AVG Antivirus as a great combination to try.

Sygate's Free Firewall is GREAT!

I used ZoneAlarm's free firewall and recently switched to Sygate's and I wish I had done it a long time ago.

Sygate's is definitely better than ZA, IMHO. I think it uses much less resources, has a smaller footprint, and loads more quickly.

Outpost problems

I took the advice in this tread and DL'd OutPost tonight. I must say my computer boots up (removed Zone Alarm) and shuts down much faster now. And web pages seem to load faster. But for some reason it doesn't like FireFox. Can use IE with no problems. I can't figure out how to allow FireFox. It doesn't ask me to allow or not. I have tried all the policies to no avail.

Can anyone give any advice on correcting this issue?

I've always used Tiny Personal Firewall. I think it's a pay to play now, but the older versions are free. And they work wonderfully. They are a little more for advanced users, but it sure does the trick very well.

halo71 said:
I took the advice in this tread and DL'd OutPost tonight. I must say my computer boots up (removed Zone Alarm) and shuts down much faster now. And web pages seem to load faster. But for some reason it doesn't like FireFox. Can use IE with no problems. I can't figure out how to allow FireFox. It doesn't ask me to allow or not. I have tried all the policies to no avail.

Can anyone give any advice on correcting this issue?
Firefox works fine for me. Maybe you disallowed it and didn't realize it. Double click on the Outpost icon in the system tray next to the clock, then go to "Options", then "Applications". You should see Firefox listed under "Blocked applications", and/or "Partially allowed applications". Removed it from both, and then the next time you use Firefox it should ask you if you want to allow it or not. Hope this helps your problem.

Ok...I did that and now it allows FireFox to load. But now pages load like I am still on dial-up. I removed AUD<something>.exe, which was a "partially allowed application".

Also SVCHOST.exe is blocked. Should it be? I think I might just un-install it and start over. I really didn't change any settings after initial DL.....I think anyways.

Over the past week I removed Zone Alarm free and installed Outpost and then switched to Sygate. I liked this last one the best... like some of you had mentioned before, smaller memory footprint than ZA, easy functionality and use.

I'm a sygate user - I've been using it for quite a while now. :)

I can't seem to find any real fault with it, and especially like the 'Active response' feature in the options :) In particular, I like the way that if it responds due to something like a portscan as you log onto an IRC channel, it's easy to turn off for that particular instance

edit: only in the pro version. lol

still - Feature list

the "best" firewall doesn't exist, your security depends on how you configure it.
don't think that you only need to install it and forget it at all! :unch: there are lots of rules to create and change to make your pc secure.

but after i tried za, sygate, and other so called firewalls, i decided that the best for me is Outpost (the Pro version! :D ).
i now it isn't simple for newbies, what's why it's the most configurable and reliable of all.
it works very well on win2003 server sp1 too! (with AD,DNS,routing/NAT and DHCP services enabled) :eek:

when you install it, it already has some default rules for networks,IPs,programs,ports and protocols, but if you tune up all settings, your internet connection become very secure.

and you have to be patient too: i need 3 or 4 days to make the perfect settings! :bounce:

if you install the blockpost plugin, you have a realtime black ip addresses filter too (trackers,trojans,spyware,adaware,hijacked IPs,bogon IPs).

the latest release is 2.7.485.5401(412).

bye bye :angel:

I've been using Outpost Pro for over 4 years and always loved it.
However, since version 2.7 came out I have had loads of problems.
Its web-page suppression based on the size of pictures is getting worse, it objects to AVG scanning my incoming Thunderbird email, newly it protests against MacroMedia Flash, etc. etc... And I finally have enough of it's constant admonishing of every file-change that program-updates make.
My subscription renewal-date is next week, but I will NOT; I'm switching over to the free Sygate. The same goes for all the family PCs, OUT with OutPost!

I've been using Sygate Pro for years now, and have always preferred it to ZA. The free version is excellent, and it allows for rather more control than ZA, IMO. That is not to say that ZA is not a first class firewall, because it is.

Of the other pay for firewalls, I did have NOD32 for a while, and that was a fine firewall.

What I like about Sygate is the fact that it cloaks you, rather than making a response to any probing, as was mentioned earlier.

It just gets on with it's job, and you can have as many or as few bells and whistles as you like.

SensiveGuard Intelligent Firewall

SensiveGuard [blah.. blah..] supports Windows 2000/XP and is license free for personal use.

Removed the blah-blah, no advertising here! (realblackstuff)

Spike said:
I'm a sygate user - I've been using it for quite a while now. :)

I can't seem to find any real fault with it, and especially like the 'Active response' feature in the options :) In particular, I like the way that if it responds due to something like a portscan as you log onto an IRC channel, it's easy to turn off for that particular instance

edit: only in the pro version. lol

still - Feature list

Can you see internet traffic on Sygate? U know how Zone Alarm has that cool little red/green meter in the system tray ...

Just curious but yeah, I like ZA alot ... best one i've used

I have always used ZA, but will try and switch to something else in the future. I'll probably install Sygate later tonight and see how that goes.

On Sygate you simply have an upward and downward arrow (for inward and outward traffic, obv) this is pale blue in colour, unless an attempt is made on your pc, at which point it flashes red.

ah cool!

I've been researching this Sygate & it seems really good! Full version free? Probably not eh? but my friend could probably get a crack for it (not like I am bragging here!!) hehehe! He got a crack for ZA & that was really good! Pro version now ... does the free version of ZA allow you to d/l upgrades or patches n that? Im not sure ...

But yeah this Sygate seems pretty cool ... although ZA was voted best firewall EVER! Pretty cool ... wonder where Sygate ranked ... Norton was like 5th or 6th! What a suckish suck job Norton! lol!

Ok im out ... ta! :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back