Best gaming console to pass the time cheaply

rv13uk

Bored as I often end up I was thinking bout buying a new game, about £25, but a quick search on eBay could get you classics such as an N64 and 4 games for £17, and then about £3 per game after that, so i was wondering what the best console to get would be, in peoples opinions ofcourse, for a bit of nostalgic fun over christmas. Personally i might go for a ps1 with metal gear solid, or N64 with goldeneye

Hey,

from that two, my bet goes on MGS1+ PS1. Plain and simple,
played both MGS1 and Goldeneye, and I think MGS1 will be more worth your time.
One more advantage is availability - it's hard to borrow a N64 game when so few people bought the N64 (although it had some great games) - you'll be forced to buy games, although they are cheap now. The PS1 is another story, I can count people with my fingers that havent got at least 3-4 PS1 games, so getting them cheaply/borrowing shouldn't be a problem.

However, when you mentioned N64, one game to my mind, and it's truly a great game - Conker's Bad Fury Day. If you havent played it yet, do yourself a favor, and play it! If you have an Xbox, get the revamped version (well, the only thing new is graphics)...
Conker is on my TOP10 list of games of all times, it has virtually no replay value, but I've played it 2 times, as it's just too damn funny, and I think it's a perfect game to relax yourself with during the Christmas break...

So, if you get Goldeneye, Zeldas AND Conker (the most important one), for 20 quid, forget PS1, and have the time of your life :)

If you like the N64 console, google search Project 64. It is an emulator for the N64. You can download it and roms for free. I have at least 40 games, and they were all free.

Spartan...
I certainly hope you arent advertising piracy,
cause you do know that the only legal way you can play on
an emulator is if you have the console AND the games you're
playing on the emulator...

If you knew that, then I dont see the point of sitting in front of your PC and playing a console game with your keyboard, when you could be comfortably playing them with a controller in front of your TV.

I'm not advocating piracy, and I didn't know it was illegal. I got them from a friend, and since the N64 is way out of date, I figured it won't hurt them if I play their games. I wouldn't have bought their games anyway. If your going to spend any money on gaming (as opposed to Demos, or free games) then get a high quality game thats on sale. Dungeon Siege is a really great game, and you can get it with the expansion for $15.

But, if he could get his hands on an N64 with Goldeneye, Conker and Zeldas for 20 quid, I say go with it!
Much better than getting Dungeon Siege and one more PC game at a bargain price.

Graphics/sound arent the things you should be looking for in games...
and rv13uk said he was in search of some nostalgic fun for Christmas, and the lineup i gave up here doesnt really get any better.
Sure the graphics/sound are not on par with maybe even dungeon siege, but having played DS, I would choose any of the above games over it, and I'm an avid RPG player.

These games will bring you so much fun, you'll wonder why arent there more games like that today...

I have virtually all of the N64 games, and none of them impressed me. I have Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Turok, Spiderman, Mario Kart, Supersmash Bros, Doom, Quake, 3 versions of Army Men, San Francisco Rush, Zelda, etc, etc.. But I would say that Dungeon Siege has been much more fun then all of them combined. Thats my opinion of course, but you might want to try the Dungeon Siege demo first.

I know it all comes down to personal preference at the end, but
I really cant believe you enjoy DS more than some of these games...

If you said Baldurs Gate 1/2, Icewind Dale 1/2 I might have agreed , but not with DS. It just pales in comparison to them... Better get BG 1 and 2 or IWD 1 and 2 than DS, they're really cheap now.

However, I'll still stick by my first - for the short Christmas break, I cant remember any game that might give you a better time and the laughs you wont forget other than Conker's Bad Fur Day, and if you get the two Zeldas and Goldeneye, it becomes even better.

Dont know about you, but I would sure prefer to sit in front of my TV playing these great games during these holidays than hacking zombies and such in Dungeon Siege, cause they're light, fun, and the gameplay rules - perfect for holidays.

Well, for me DS is the best in roleplaying. However, if he wants something light and fun, how about Serious Sam? I am a fan of chaos shooters, where you destroy everything that moves. I like, Halo, Unreal Tournament, Call of Duty, Dungeon Siege, Perfect Dark Zero, Doom 3, and Jedi Academy. There is a fun game for cheap, Jedi Academy can be found for $15. Its a load of fun. But these are MY favorites, most people have others I'm sure. In the end, I guess he should just get whatever appeals to him. Thats what I would do.

arcnum, where are you getting this ridicule facts from? a few people did not buy the n64, a hell load of them did, it sold as the ps1 sale rate............. stop feeding false info

Not rediculus, they are facts, or should I say fact, as you're only talking about one thing - N64 selling less than PS1.

I know millions bought the N64, however, compared to tens of millions of PS1 that sold at the same time frame, you could say that only a few people bought N64 compared to the number of people buying PS1, its that simple.

It probably depends what country you are in, but I dont recall a single country in which N64 sold better than PS1...

My country is perhaps a little bit extreme , as the ratio is about 30:1 for the PS1, but I really havent heard where the N64 was sold at the same numbers as the PS1... If you do know, I humbly apologize.

Also - whats with the 'high and almighty' attitude?
'Stop feeding false info' - feeding? If I was wrong it was only in one fact, and I still think I'm correct about it until I'm proven wrong - in that case I'll apologize for the wrong info. They way you just said that, it came out as my every post was a bunch of lies, you should really recheck before posting and acusing people that they're giving out fake info all the time, when only one thing is in question...

No need to get upset guys...

I say regular nintendo. Those things are almost given away now, have the most games of any console (just a guess), and the controls for any game are easy to master. Also in a couple years, the resale value of a working NES is going to be going up, and will continue going up forever.

Nintendo64! When i used to smoke weed, my friends and I would play Super Smash Bros. for Hours on end, it never got old, Never...

Back