Best MOBO & CPU combination for 400$

Status
Not open for further replies.

armino41

I am thinking of building a new computer so i have a 1000$ budget for it so i am thinking whats the best combination for mobo and cpu i can get for 400$.

You don't give your location, but price these up...

Q6600

Gigabyte p35-s3l

{we've had a lot of issues with Asus boards at work lately, and the Gigabytes are proving fine}

I agree with the Q6600 but advise you to go with the ASUS P5n-E SLI. When (if) you study the numbers...you may buy the Intel chipset but I am an Nvidia Die hard. Devil's advocate. Plus I think as we iron out wrinkles with the ASUS, it will be (and is the best) for $120. Later.

It has been the entry level boards that are dying at an alarming rate - especially the p5vd2-vm. The mid range ones are probably OK.

NVidia Chipsets are v.good. I don't use anything else for AMD builds, and I'm sure the quality is the same for Intel compat chipsets.

I mostly reccomended that Gigabyte one as I've had personal experience with it - use one in my Media Centre PC. It even has Optical Out!

so you all agree on the q6600 even tho its only 2.4 ghz i was thinking of a dual core 3.2 ghz so i have to ask which one do you think will work better with games?

Games are starting to take advantage of multiple cores and future games are definitely going to do so. So go quad-core and you'll benefit from it more than going dual-core.

I would personally go for an athlon x2 6000+ (arround 200 newegg.com)and a compatible gigabyte board for about $150... but that is just me....

There's no comparison between the Q6600 and the X2 6000+ because one's quad-core and the other's dual-core. Phenom however, is a completely different story...

okay do you have any idea how mych will the phenom cost when its out?
and if i decided to do dual core will it be intel or amd?

Intel rules the roost right now as far as dual-core is concerned. Phenom is releasing in a couple of months and performance is rumoured to be better than the Core 2 Duo. But the Penryn will also be releasing around the same time and will be the main competitor to the Phenom. If you get the GigaByte board above, you'd be able to upgrade to DDR3 and Penryn processors but for using Phenom with DDR3, you'd need an AM2+ motherboard, which are not yet available.

so maybe i should wait for january so everything is clear or should i just go and grab the Q6600 and get done with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back