Best Of: Our Favorite PC Cases in Every Form Factor

Julio Franco

Staff member

There was a time when computer cases were seen as nothing more than the housing for your PC. People were happy to boast about their new processor or graphics card, but the humble chassis rarely got a look in. Then things started to get interesting; cases got better, flashier and more functional. They evolved beyond mere protective outer shells and into an integral component that could complement what resided inside.

Today, the sheer number of cases available can be a bit overwhelming. To help you choose we’ve gathered impressions from our own reviews, those of other top sites and from owners' feedback, explaining what features make them stand above the rest. Here are the highest regarded cases in every category: best overall, Mini-ITX, micro ATX, HTPC, budget and top concept case.

Read on and check out the best PC cases.

I can't get over how much I still love my "mid tower" 600T and custom acrylic side panel. Since I only use one (240mm) rad, and my 3.5" drive cages are modular, no other case excites me.

My main complaints with a lot of cases are not enough 5.25" drive cages are removable, and ones marketed for water cooling are half-assed.

Last edited:
Fun article, though there is little surprised in regard to the case choices made... not that it is a bad thing. =)

I sort of agree with hahahanoobs in regards to the 5.25" bays not being modular in most cases that include them, but at the same time the form factor is slowly going the way of the Dodo in the enthusiast marketspace, probably why you either see them included and non-modular, or not there at all. The Bitfenix Prodigy series had a single modular 5.25" bay, which when removed vastly expanded upon the cooling potential of the case, and I'd like to see more manufacturers doing this.

a minor typo for the RVZ02:
...however, mMiniini-ITX cases...

Speaking of the RVZ02, it's finally on Newegg and REALLY REALLY tempting to buy... Would need to get a SFX PSU and a new heatsink though... and a new graphics card... x_x

If I could afford to I would swap out cases frequently. There are many worth trying

I guess I'm the oddball, I still use the 5.25" Blu-Ray drive every day in my rigs, especially my HTPC (Even to go all file-based, how are you going to rip the MKV off without a drive to read the disk)?

Still, I really like my Fractal Design cases. I have two titanium R4's for the servers, and they are noise insulated. Can't hear them sitting next to them. And the Arc for my gaming rig.

I guess I'm the oddball, I still use the 5.25" Blu-Ray drive every day in my rigs, especially my HTPC (Even to go all file-based, how are you going to rip the MKV off without a drive to read the disk)?

Still, I really like my Fractal Design cases. I have two titanium R4's for the servers, and they are noise insulated. Can't hear them sitting next to them. And the Arc for my gaming rig.
I actually still have a BD burner in my Prodigy, sometimes you're over at someone's house and just REALLY need to watch a BD movie lol...

I've been looking hard at Fractal Design cases for my next computer assuming I go bigger than mini-ITX. I really dig the sleek yet utilitarian look of many of their cases...

I don't know what it is about cases but I have a bit of a thing for them. :) I've always been a sucker for large tower cases and I've been using a Phanteks Enthoo Primo for the past 2 years which is pretty sweet....not that I couldn't be persuaded to change it...again.

Once again, not a single Case Labs case to be seen. If I were building a full water cooled monster, that Corsair Obsidian 900 would not be my choice as best case for 'water cooling'. How about a MAGNUM TH10A or SMA8. I realize these two Case Labs cases are almost twice the price but the build quality and options would win me over. Heck, even a little Merlin SM8 and a pedestal down the road.

I know Case Labs cases are more expensive but come on, if you are going to call something the 'Best Of' something then maybe consider what that really means - it doesn't just mean 'best that's affordable'.

Disappointed you ignored Phantex Enthoo line - especially the Primo. Easily the best laid out case I've ever used, with quality materials and everything is modular.

One could argue that this article is subjective since there are a lot of great cases out there. I still feel that one of the best cases in the "under $100 segment" is the Corsair Carbide 200r. I also like some of what Fractal Design has to offer. They seem to have solid products. I did a build for a client in the Core 3500 from Fractal, and it was a pleasure to build in. I hope to get a chance to build in an Phantex case someday to. I am liking what I see with them.

Great article J,
At the top end the 900 and the Cosmos 2 were the two I narrowed it down to before going with the C2. Its just a case that is unmatched in uniqueness. The Hinged doors are constructed like automobile doors and the whole case has that feel to it.

Great article - as an owner of the Corsair 900d, I can definitely agree with the choice... Just seeing people's reactions when they see it almost makes it worth the cost :)

I like black also! ... the concept one was OK... but it would be better if they painted it black! :D

I enjoy my NZXT Phantom 630, amazing color choices for the case. It's fairly beefy for it's size, and yes it lacks in HDD support. Just unless you're super insane and want a massive array, I think the 6 HDD bays and 2 SSD mounts are pretty good. Also nice thing is everything can be reinstalled on the rear IO, unlike a lot of cases which are simply cutouts that you break off.

I question the lack of proper cutouts for cable routing in some locations, but you can't get it all not that the cost was cheap by any means. I still love it for a pretty large tower, I would probably pick it for another build. Pretty solid construction, just get a good straight sata cable for the bottom drive bay. None of those right angle ones, because the location is bad for such ones. Accidentally broke the plastic around it, thankfully had a couple spare cables. Drives are spread out for maximum airflow, that the front fan gives to them. :)

I've used Raven RV01 & Obsidian 800D in the past & both of them are Class Cases no doubt.
At present I'm using TJ-10 from SIlverstone & did not settle for anything else.
After using plastic & metal Cases (Chassis) I firmly believe that metal are better though they get very heavy after the full PC is assembled.

That's the price you pay for plus unlike plastic cases breakage is also less.(pl note not NIL).
Very good review. Thx & keep up the good work in future as well.

Back