Best Pc modification, please !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

taimuraly

Hey Guys and Gals, I know that u all must be very tied answering this question but please be nice and post a reply. I am thinking of building up a good PC so I can play all the next gen games. I am tied of buying BRANDED PCs and would like to make 1. But have no idea which parts are the best. So please suggest the following:-
1. Motherboard (should support up to 4 GB of Ram and an AGP graphic card)
2. Processor (it maybe an AMD or Intel, but should be the fastest one)
3. Graphics Card (it maybe NVIDIA or ATI, don’t know if I can buy the new NVIDIA 7 series but I think anything before that is in my budget)

Please include the price of all your choices. And I would like you to tell me the top 3 motherboards and RAM companies, so I can buy amongst them. I already have an ACER (read my profile) but it isn’t fast enough for my liking.
Please do give as much info as possible and I would really appreciate your help. Thanks a lot in advance.

https://www.techspot.com/articles/highendpc/

If you don't want to dish out the cash for the 7800 card, go for a 6800GT, and be sure to read the info in this forum about the A8N-SLI boards if that is the route you decide to go.

Deluxe has a faulty chipset fan, easily replaced but a pain in the ....
Premium has a heatpipe cooling system no fan.

I think we'll need a little more info, like maybe a budget and your needs from the pc.

Any reason you want an agp graphics card? New tech. is Pci-express, and if your getting a motherboard and a video card, you might as well get a pci-e version.

For a motherboard, do you want a sli or crossfire compatible one? These technologies let you use two video cards at once to increase performance, but obviously, 2 video cards costs more than one.

Amd cpus(athlon 64, athlon fx, athlon x2) are generally the best for gaming, the fx is the fastest of the three(but also $800-1000 usd).

I guess consider cards like the x800xl and 6800gt if you can't afford a 7800gt.

I'd guess the top 3 motherboard companies would be asus, abit, and dfi.
For ram I'd guess, corsair, crucial, patriot.
Those are guesses, there are many other good brands.

Although really you probably could upgrade your acer(if you want to) to be much faster, like if you got a agp card like a 6800gt, and got a 1gb kit of ram, it would make it much better for gaming than it currently would be. A 5200 is like the slowest modern video card, so most any card will be an upgrade.

Sorry guys, i meant a PCI Express slot not agp. Sorry for the confusion. My budget is more is Dhs 5000, which in dollars is about $ 1388. And I can borrow about 150 more if needed. (And I am going to upgrade my accer with 1 GB of ram and a new graphics card). Sorry for not including my budget, hope this helps in making your suggestions. And one more thing, which is the best AGP graphic card out there and the price. Thanks.

I am confused (don't worry though, that happens all the time ;) )

You say you want PCI-e, then go on to ask what the best AGP card is?

Thank u for clearing the mess vnf4ultra. Thank u vnf4ultra and DonNagual for your replies. Really helped me and soon I will be able start my project. I will also think about the agp card DonNagual suggested for my acer. Thanks a lot guys, your :D the best.

What site will you be buying from? I would have linked to parts at newegg.com, but I don't think they will ship internationally. Do you still want part suggestions?

Well I will be searching the internet for the lowest prices. Then after converting them into DHs, will search for them at that approx price locally at the computer shops. As for the parts info, I wont mind any more recommendations, as they will come handy not only to me but also to others twho read this forum. Once again, thanks for your help and concern.

for games go with AMD. I highly recommend MSI motherboards.
Go with NVIDIA based graphics cards. ATI tends to have driver issues.

Guys how about the NVIDIA 6800 Ultra, dont know of any other graphic card better than this. But I think Nvidia is the way to go for games like DOOM 3, Sims 2, Painkiller, Halflife 2, Unreal and so on. Please correct me if I think wrong. Thanks for your help.

Taimuraly-
Just to get it straight in my wooden head you are trying to do two different things at the same time here:

1. Upgrade the graphics card on your old Acer

AND

2. Build a new rig at the same time?

Is this correct? If so then with your budget I would respectfully tell you that you'll end up doing neither task well. You'll be stretching your funds to far to get really good quality for either rig. I'd concentrate on building your new rig and when done cannibalize the Acer if need be and sell the parts (cannibalize the Acer after your new rig is up and running as it is almost required to have a working PC while building a new one).

Also, do you really want 4GB of RAM in this new PC? If so why? What are you planning on using the new PC for?

Hey Merc14, you finally got it, bravo. Yes, I am trying to do 2 different things at once, upgrading my Acer and building a new pc. I think by adding more RAM and a newer graphics card there will be sufficient amount of increase in the performance (as vnf4ultra pointed out earlier in the thread). And the money for upgrading my Acer is not included in my budget of $ 1388 approx. But if you think it isn’t sufficient enough; then please tell me how much more I should add. I won’t mind postponing the project until I get the sufficient amount of dough. (I won’t to keep the Acer so that I can play games like Halflife 2 and other multiplayer games on LAN)
As for the 4 GB of RAM, that’s just for showoff reasons, you know … people have 2 GB but I’ll have 4. And anyway I’ll only put 2 GB and leave the other 2 GB for later. Thanks for your concern and suggestion. :D

OK now I get it. LOL. Just wanted to be sure and if the Acer upgrade is on a separate budget then that makes a big difference in the suggestions we can make.

As for the RAM well that is up to you. Just remember that the AMD CPU's have a dificult time dealing withe 4 dual sided DIMMs at better than 2T timings. Personally, I'd go with 2GB of RAM in 2 x 1024MB configuration.

If you want to run 4GB then maybe you should consider using your P4 CPU and overclocking it up to 3.6 or so and match it to a 7800GTX on a SLI mobo. By using your P4 you'll be saving enough to buy 4GB of RAM, a top of the line video card and the MSI P4N Diamond NF4-SLI Intel mobo as reviewed here http://www.pcstats.com/artvnl.cfm?articleID=1852 Here is one suggested build spec

1. Your Intel P4 3.2 GHZ CPU O/Ced tp 3.6 GHZ $0
2. Zalman CNPS9500 HSF $68 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118223
2. MSI P4N Diamond NF4-SLI Intel mobo $204 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130501
3. XFX 7800 GTX video card $479 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150100
4. 2 GB of DDR2 SDRAM in 2 x 1024MB config. $306 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145015
5. Seasonic S-12 SLI PSU $159 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817151025
6. Thermaltake Tsunami Case $100 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133136
7. Reuse you old optical and hard-drive drives

$1316.

Yo thanks a lot bro!!! Really thanks a lot by taking the time writing the reply, really appreciate (didn’t know people really cared so much). That was a very comprehensive and detailed reply and if god allows, I will soon be playing on that awesome machine soon. Thanks for keeping your suggestion in my budget. Once again thanks a lot. :grinthumb

No problem. Lot's of help here at TechSpot. I'm sure others will have radically different suggestions that will be just as helpful. Mine is just one way to go and a downside is that it ties you to the 775 socket which is a dying socket as Intel moves to dual core (just as the 939 is dying). Doesn't mean there won't be 775 CPU's available in the future just that, as always, the tech is moving on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back