Best radeon 9700 pro overclock?

By frazwr01
Dec 16, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newbie post:

I'm considering purchasing a Radeon 9700 pro with overclocking in mind. My question is, for those who have direct experience with this card, which manufacturer should I go with in order to have the greatest chance of a good overclock?

I've read the reviews, but I'm wary because often reviewers get a card from the manufacturer that may not be indicative of real world overclockability. Of course, I'm aware that just because somebody had good results with a particular card doesn't mean that when I get one in my hands that I'll get the same numbers.

So the major manufacturers that I've seen are: ATI (obviously!), Sapphire (Atlantis [heatpipe] and regular [active cooling] versions), Crucial, and FIC. The Sapphire seems to be the cheapest ~230$, and price is a concern (otherwise I'd get a 9800 pro!).

According to the reviews I've seen, I'd say that the 9700 pro should go from the 325/310 stock speeds to somewhere around 380/350.

Any opinions? I'm open to suggestions for other cards as well in the 200-250$ price range.

P.S. I plan to use stock cooling for the overclock, then eventually upgrading to the Zalman ZM80C-HP Heatpipe VGA Cooler + ZM OP1 Fan, or something similar.
  2. SubKamran

SubKamran Newcomer, in training Posts: 303

$253 can get you a 9800 Pro 128MB and Sapphire provides a free overclocking utility! It's what I have, although I haven't tried overclocking yet...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.