Best Recommended Firewall / Kaspersky Antivirus CPU use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krul

Thanks, ever so, for allowing people to post. Could do with some help.

Firstly, what is the best firewall/antihacker app you can recommend that also forwards ports properly? Kaspersky Antihacker went kaput on me, and I'm currently using the integrated Windows Firewall, which I doubt even a newbie hacker would find even a passing annoyance.

Secondly, is there any way to get Kaspersky Antivirus to stop using up 50-99% of my CPU Resources every time it updates itself or checks files? I want the best antivirus I can get, and payed for two years of this thing....but I can hardly use it effictively if it's THAT CPU hungry. Especially not on a poor outdate PIV 1.7 GHz with only 640 Megs of RIMM RAM. :(

Anyways, thanks for your time, and God bless. :)

AVG,Zone Alarm and a $50 router solved my problems.
Also,there`s nothing wrong with a P1V I.7GHZ 640MB.
I`m using 900MHZ and 256MB.

Thanks

THanks for you suggestions, but I don't really trust Zone Alarm...it's been too buggy in the past, and crashed FAR too many of my client's computers, sometimes to the point of having to completely reinstall their Windows. :(
THe router idea isn't a bad one, but that requires money....and I'm tapped after buying Kaspersky Antivirus. :)

BTW, I see you didn't mention this matter, so I suppose you have no suggestions about fixing the cpu resource consumption of Kaspersky ANtivirus? I need an antivirus as well as an effecitve firewall....a firewall by itself probably wouldn't be of much use. While it WOULD prevent trojans from broadcasting once they arrive on my system, some more malicious ones also mess up your computer royally, so I'd need both antivirus and a firewall if I want effective protection. ANd, if I get it working better, I hear Kaspersky AV is one of the best around....I don't know of many that give you the option to automatically check for updates every HOUR. They must REALLY work hard on their virus definition files. :)

The claim about updating every hour might well be true,but I doubt that has much significance in real life.You could safely reduce it,I think.
Sygate is a common alternative for Zone Alarm refugees - http://www.tucows.com/preview/213160
Avast is an alternative to AVG.
I`ve never seen any real evidence to indicate that free AVs or Firewalls are any less secure than paid for ones.
NOD 32 is my pick of the paid for AVs.
I suggest you put a sticker on each PC that reads -

1.DON`T click on links and attachments in emails unless your CERTAIN what they are,and who they`re from.
2.Only download files from well known sources.
3.Use Firefox or Opera instead of IE
3.Update the OS automatically.

Thanks for your Suggestions

1.DON`T click on links and attachments in emails unless your CERTAIN what they are,and who they`re from.

Whatever is competent antivirus and firewall software for, if not to test it? If you don't put it through its paces, how will KNOW it's any good or not? I tend to subscribe to to the scientifici method, in that I like to prove a thing for myself. Mcafee's and Nortons hype about THEIR antivirus, of course, is complete and utter bull excrement. I don't know about FREE antivirus (I tend to believe you get what you pay for, you know) but what's the verdict among those in the know about EZ Armor? :)

2.Only download files from well known sources.

Yes, well, with ever so much on p2p to st.....er....."borrow"..... :angel: whyever do you think I bought 2 years of Kaspersky for? :cool:

3.Use Firefox or Opera instead of IE

Not a bad suggestion, but third-party browsers make me nervous...but I think I'll stick to IE, even if IS rumored to be run by Barf McVader, Cruella Deville, Rosie O'Donnel, Bill Clinton, and Ted Kennedy all rolled into one....eg....the world's richest nerd. :haha:

3.Update the OS automatically

Now, THIS suggestion I will likely do....after all, I AM a little absent minded, and having all critical updates installed automatically is likely a good thing, so long as MS Auto Update won't hijack my CPU resources while it's in use, too. :rolleyes:

Anyways, thanks, ever so, for your suggestions, and God bless.

As far as I'm concerned, you're a hypochondriac attention seeker.
Checking for AV-updates once (or maybe twice) a day is more than good enough.
Kaspersky needs to fully check your PC only once a day (at startup).
It should then only get into action when you are checking your email, are downloading something or are browsing the web.
By following the advice to use Firefox instead of that hole-riddled IE, you would automatically eliminate 80-90% chances of getting infected.
Finally, if you insist on stealing software by indiscriminately downloading via P2P or similar applications, there isn't a software in the world that can protect you, and rightly so!
What you need is a bit of realism, you don't NEED all those "free" (read stolen) games or programs, you don't even have the time (or probably the intelligence) to use them all, so why bother? So you can brag to your mates about how many programs you "acquired"?
Grow up, then you won't need the urge for the "best" this or the "best" of that!

Well, Then, What CAN One Say?

"Checking for AV-updates once (or maybe twice) a day is more than good enough.

You MAY be right about checking only one or twice a day...but I prefer to be cautious, given that I have somehow been viruses and hacked even with layered software protections. This tends to make one a trifle, well, paranoid.

"Kaspersky needs to fully check your PC only once a day (at startup).
It should then only get into action when you are checking your email, are downloading something or are browsing the web."

That SHOULD be the case, but nevertheless is NOT SO. It is using up the cpu resources I specified (50-99%) EVERY time it auto-updates. It's also a problem whenever files are added/modified in ANY fashion, as it immediately jumps into action to check the files. Sadly, there appears to be no option to change this in the AV app without disabling realtime protection altogther....and that kind of defeats the purpose of having good antivirus, does it not? Further, the people who designed this app didn't think to put in an option so you can to tell it to "delay" or "background to a certainly CPU %" when other cpu-internsive apps are running. Rather careless, if they KNEW it would do this, and with a PIV 1.7 GHz with 640 Megs of RD RIMM RAM (not top of the line tech, to be sure, but not abysmal, either) there's NO excuse for it.

"By following the advice to use Firefox instead of that hole-riddled IE, you would automatically eliminate 80-90% chances of getting infected."

You MAY also be right about the security flaws in IE, but, frankly, I don't really trust alternate browsers. They don't tend to be all they are hyped to be, and I prefer to stick with genuine Microsoft apps when I can, since they are coded to run well with XP. The same CAN'T be said of 3rd-party browsers.

"Finally, if you insist on stealing software by indiscriminately downloading via P2P or similar applications, there isn't a software in the world that can protect you, and rightly so!
What you need is a bit of realism, you don't NEED all those "free" (read stolen) games or programs, you don't even have the time (or probably the intelligence) to use them all, so why bother? So you can brag to your mates about how many programs you "acquired"?
Grow up, then you won't need the urge for the "best" this or the "best" of that!"

No, I don't, perhaps, "need" the "stolen" games or apps...but certain things are yet needful in their way. And I simply can't afford to risk buying them without testing, not as a disabled person on a $989/US monthly income. Really, do you HONESTLY expect me, with my limited resources, to even THINK of buying software or games blind? I INSIST on trying out full versions first, so I know they actually WORK, or WILL work, once they patch their often BUG-RIDDEN first release code. THEN, I will purchase them asap when my limited funds allow.

I will have you know, I PURCHASED pefectly LEGITIMATE versions with PROPER OEM #s of Windows XP Home Upgrade, Microsoft Office, Kaspersky Antivirus. I RECEIVED a Kaspersky Antihack key from tech support for helping them tech out their buggy apps, Antivirus and Antihacker....and my EZArmor is receive with a one year sub for being a Roadrunner subscriber.

I AM a realist, and QUITE grown, thank you...I'm 35 years old, not some bored "code kiddie" or elite hacker who makes life diificult for people "just because I can." Not, I might add, that I say you are such. But you certainly display the trademark hubris of such, writ large.

Further, what I DO share is things people OUGHT to have....for example XP OEM with people who have to buy a new mobo for their crappy retail store bought Dell, HP, Gateways, etc. systems, and then find they can't reinstall their XP fromt he restore partition on the HD or the Restore CDs codes to work only with the original MOBO those cheap JERKS send with their system packages they sell, rather a FULL version of XP on CD. Customers BOUGHT a LEGITIMATE OEM # when they bought their computer package, they SHOULD be able to reinstall XP when such a breakdown occurs with FULL OEM CDs provided by the MANUFACTURER, rather than being stuck shelling out $200 (or even $300) US dollars for a NEW OEM # when they already HAVE a PEFECTLY good and LEGITIMATE one.

Ir anyone, YOU could do with some maturity, for attacking another person so cruelly, and with so little cause or thought. Have you NO sense of humor, whatever? My comment about "st....er....borrow" was a JOKE. And, furthermore sir, I do NOT boast. I help those who have need of a thing, as humbly as I can. People often overestimate and are overawed with my small talent with computers, and I tell them so. When I MUST charge for my time helping others, I do so at a nominal $10 US /hour rate. And for the poorest of computer owners who can't afford those overpriced "service contracts" that the major computer brands sell to the unsuspecting, and can't even afford my usual rates, I settle for a home-cooked meal, for "a worker deserves his wages." I am NO profiteer, sir, unlike these greedy software companies who often KNOWINGLY release HORRIBLY buggy apps just to turn a quick profit. Who are YOU to say I am in the wrong? God will judge between us, sir, and you MAY be VERY surprised by HIS summing up...

How DARE you question my intelligence, or my morals, until you actually get to KNOW me enough to make an informed decision Do not ASSUME, sirrah, for you know what that makes of both you AND me.

"God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble."

Mark you well, and draw the moral.

As it happens, I am the moderator of this forum, and that was exactly what I was doing: moderating!
Although it's none of your business, I am nearly twice as old as you are (61 by the end of this month). If I were an irresponsible or uninformed person, would I have been allowed to make well over 7'500 posts?
Would some of my posts have been read well over 100'000 times because they are uninformed?
'nuff said.

Apologies

Firstly, I see you did not delete my post or ban me from your forum....I appreciate that you allow candor.

Secondly, I didn't realise you were my elder. I humbly apologize. I was always taught that one should respect one's elders for their wisdom, and I believe in that strongly.

Also, I did not realise you were a moderator....I apologize on that score, as well....one should respect those in authority, so long as they have earned such, and the number of posts you mentioend IS impressive. Was it H. L. Mecken (sp?) who said, "Don't argue with success' ?

Finally, I'm also sorry I responded so angrily, but what you said to me pushed ALL my buttons and wounded me deeply. Did you read the message throughly, and understand where I am coming from?

I noticed that you did not respond to any of the core points I brought up....are some of the issues I expressed not permitted in this forum? If so, please tell me, and the link to the rules, so I can be more careful in future.

Thanks for your time, and your indulgence.

ok dudes.. chill for a bit now.. :cool:

Krul, its cool that your cautious about your i.net usage, i mean if everyone was half the things in this forum wouldnt have to be posted and everyone would be nice and cheery and less headaches..

about kaspersky, i would have no clue on its mechanics since i've never used it before but as advice i give to people who ask for it, have you tried shooting an email to the guys there about the cpu hogging issue? i think they are more able and qualified to answer for this, especialy if you're a paying customer... by the way.. have you tried to see what happens if you use task manager to set flag it on low priority process?

most of what the guys are saying down here sums up to a general rule: prevention is better then a cure, dont tempt fate...
and that there is something by called 'obsessiveness' (1hr updates? now thats hardcore :knock: ) but thats your call.

...use Microsoft apps when I can, since they are coded to run well with XP.
that statement is not entirely true, but i get your point, sorry but i'm itching to say that windows can fold on itself, IE can cause errors (although it hasnt done that to me for a while now), and in your bug-free world, windows itself is buggy..

if you do consider third-party apps, then why dont you base it on the reputation of the product in question, and read a few reviews as well, and maybe use the trail version of the app. And if you'd take a survey here, most of the guys/gals use firefox or opera, due to it not having activex controls, and thus limiting what languages bad people can exploit, and when it does lock out a site that you know 100% with all your heart that its legit, then by all means use IE for that particular site...

Really, do you HONESTLY expect me, with my limited resources, to even THINK of buying software or games blind? I INSIST on trying out full versions first, so I know they actually WORK, or WILL work, once they patch their often BUG-RIDDEN first release code. THEN, I will purchase them asap when my limited funds allow.

....Have you NO sense of humor, whatever? My comment about "st....er....borrow" was a JOKE.....
d/l a hacked version from a p2p source (trusted or not, hacked means unknown contents; refer to the story of the greek's Trojan Horse) and can quite easily backfire off you if you do and that is a point to be made. Joke or not about doing such stuff, especialy related to piracy here, some people are real serious about it, and like most jokes written, without one person knowing the other personaly may be easily misinterpreted as being a literal meaning (i'm sure we've had it before), and RBS probably has more than his fair share fixing unpaid pc problems relating to i.net nasties that would have just said 'use common sense' and would pull rank if he has to (i dont blame him, i go nuts when my sister does the same mistake on my pc the 10th million time)....

Now for my 2cents........ dont worry.. wont take long.. :)

like i said, i dont use kaspersky, nor do i use zone alarm, firefox, nor spybot's active teatimer and any other fancy stuff. but i do use AVG, adaware scan every week to remove tracker cookies, spybot scans every week to reassure my self, and IE7beta2 (which by the way if you're interested, has its own anti-phishing filter, AND TABS :grinthumb, but dont get it untill the official ones released) and havent got any sort of nasties for a long time (few years by now..) apart from the said cookies above.

my trick? using past excruciating experiences and use my netsmarts. like the rule a few paragraphs up, i dont go where i dont need to, and have my own set of rules on how to do things, and enforce it on others who use my stuff. and if something does sound dodgy, and i'm past the point of curiosity i have an old pc that has nothing majorly important which i can 'test' the thing in question. no risk taken, and when something do strike, there is a generic rule of fixing it, and use google as one of my tools.

now thats paranoia and curiosity roled into one :giddy:

although i may not be as age-wise as some of those here, but i do count brownie points on being part of and growing up in the tech generation, and knowing enough to get out of trouble. and i am not afraid to be wrong, hek i will admit being wrong if there's proof for it and tehn chuck it into my ever-increasing bag of experiences....

i'll leave it there for now, and forgive me if i do offend you in any way (i dont want to go through another realy long post again :blackeye: ) but i do request kindly that you use the quote /quote tags -> [ ] to make it easyer to read : )

N30

EDIT: dang accursed dailup........ awell.. lets just leave it on the wrong foot and move on shall we?

anyways, here's the forum rules (kinda) if you still need them lol..
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic5017.html

Thanks for your Suggestions

"about kaspersky, i would have no clue on its mechanics since i've never used it before but as advice i give to people who ask for it, have you tried shooting an email to the guys there about the cpu hogging issue? i think they are more able and qualified to answer for this, especialy if you're a paying customer... by the way.. have you tried to see what happens if you use task manager to set flag it on low priority process?
"

Yeah, I've had a long, vexatious conversation with them on the subject. THey haven't found a way to totally fix it yet, but it is reduced significantly, especially if I don't let AV load at startup, and instead load it manually in windows once it's fully booted up. Sounds like a coding issue either on their part, Microsoft's, or that something is damaged on my system and causing a problem your guess is as good as mine. And, yes, I did try to lower the task priority....it locks out of doing that, both in Task Manager and the Services applet. It also won't let you End Task on them, which is highly unfortunate should they lock up, because then you can't End Task of them to get rid of them to either try to reload, or to reboot and refresh whatever went wrong.

"if you do consider third-party apps, then why dont you base it on the reputation of the product in question, and read a few reviews as well, and maybe use the trail version of the app. And if you'd take a survey here, most of the guys/gals use firefox or opera, due to it not having activex controls, and thus limiting what languages bad people can exploit, and when it does lock out a site that you know 100% with all your heart that its legit, then by all means use IE for that particular site..."

I will consider that. But really, a lot of sites use Active X legitimately, and I'd rather not have to play musical browsers unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. :)

"d/l a hacked version from a p2p source (trusted or not, hacked means unknown contents; refer to the story of the greek's Trojan Horse) and can quite easily backfire off you if you do and that is a point to be made. Joke or not about doing such stuff, especialy related to piracy here, some people are real serious about it, and like most jokes written, without one person knowing the other personaly may be easily misinterpreted as being a literal meaning (i'm sure we've had it before), and RBS probably has more than his fair share fixing unpaid pc problems relating to i.net nasties that would have just said 'use common sense' and would pull rank if he has to (i dont blame him, i go nuts when my sister does the same mistake on my pc the 10th million time)."

Hmm, I DID explain the sort of things I try to get for people, and they aren't unreasonble...Windows XP CDs for people who have valid legit OEM #s they bought and whose CD goes bad or their mobo dies and they are stuck with a uselsess restore partition or restore CDs from a major manufacturer, apps and games with the same proviso above, etc.

And when it isn't that, like I said, I am being cautious by trying before I buy. Money is a precious resource on my limited income, and the software store's paranoid no returns policy means that if you buy an app or game and despite the hype, it well and truly sucks, or simply won't work with your hardware config, you are stuck with it and out the money it cost. Not at ALL a fair or reasonable thing, I say.

And DO note that I aplogized to the moderator for some of my harshness...you may have sent this post before it appeared in this part of the forum.

"like i said, i dont use kaspersky, nor do i use zone alarm, firefox, nor spybot's active teatimer and any other fancy stuff. but i do use AVG, adaware scan every week to remove tracker cookies, spybot scans every week to reassure my self, and IE7beta2 (which by the way if you're interested, has its own anti-phishing filter, AND TABS , but dont get it untill the official ones released) and havent got any sort of nasties for a long time (few years by now..) apart from the said cookies above."

Hmm, there's something to be said for that approach. I have Kaspersky Antivirus, EZArmor Firewall, and EZArmor Pest Control (the latter of which, I gather, does in real time what Adaware and Spybot makes you waste hours on in manual scans). I'm HOPING, once I've somehow got this AV issues sorted, I'll be set and protected from hackers...who I wish would put their obvious talent to good use, like tormenting corporate CEOs and televangelists with bad toupees, or even Bill Clinton (just because they CAN, and that's the reason Bilk gave for the Monica deal....tit for tat, I always say.).

Have a good one, all, and God bless. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back