TechSpot

Best software for making an image of hard drive

By ingeborgdot
Oct 11, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I want to make an image of the hard drive so that if something goes wrong I can just put in the disc and restore it to like new. What do you recommend? Or is there such a thing?
  2. Po`Girl

Po`Girl TS Rookie Posts: 668

There are many things -

Norton,Acronis and Paragon are three you pay for.

Ranish and DriveImage XML you don`t pay for.

BUT, the free ones may be more difficult for some people.
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

If one of your hard drives is a Seagate, then you can use Seagate's disk migration utility - DiscWizard. It is free and user-friendly.
  4. ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 754

We have many computers with many users. Most are computer illiterate and we have problems once in awhile. We want a fast fix instead of reinstalling the os if this is possible. Will these make an image that you can just use for all the computers because they are all the same. In other words, this one image can be used for any of the computers, if that makes sense.
  5. A[L]C

A[L]C TS Rookie

Acronis True Image
  6. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

You can do that if you use Microsoft Windows corporate license and all of your operating system software uses the same serial number. All of the systems must also use the same motherboard and same basic devices before you can use a single image to "ghost" a bunch of machines.
  7. Char_X

Char_X TS Rookie Posts: 209

8. ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 754

Should we be looking at acronis small and medium business? We have over 600 computers that are networked?
  9. Char_X

yes,you should.
    In that case you need Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server.
  10. Speedwagon

Speedwagon TS Rookie

Do you need a copy of True Image for each computer you backup?
  11. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

Speedwagon I'm just guessing but when you buy Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server you probably get a server side client and a workstation side client. The server side client will schedual regular backups and tell the work station what and when to backup. Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise costs around $1000.00 and probably includes up 50 work station installs with an option to buy more if you need them.

12. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

ditto on acronis. Good piece of software. EZ gig II is also good.
  13. Speedwagon

Speedwagon TS Rookie

I got a copy of EZ gig II with my Apricorn external enclosure. Is it as good as Acronis?
  14. Char_X

Probably, Acronis is the best one.
    I don't think that EZ is the same.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.