Best tool for recording from Video card (w/ good compression)

Status
Not open for further replies.

james_k1988

I have been using my graphics card to record myself ingame for a while now but i really want to improve the quality. My graphics card is in my sig, i use a cable which basically goes back into the card and it records itself (advantage of AVIVO)

I have been using IUvcr but im not to bright in this area and dont know the in's and out's of all the options. But the problem is when i set the capture format to a size of say 720x576 the quality is great but no matter what compressor i use while recording it makes my pc lag to hell. Although when i set a lower size, something like 432x288 the pc is fine and games run fine, but the quality kinda sucks. And i cant really get a size in bewtween those so it levels out on performance and quality.

I'm not wanting amazing quality just as long as its half decent and everything doesnt look majorly smudged (so that any text is unreadable on the recorded video) and that it doesnt lag the pc to much.

Can anyone recommend a video capture recording tool that might allow me to record at a decent quality but not murder my pc in the process? (I thought i had one with a program called Video Capturix but the trial doesnt allow you to see the recorded video so that doesnt help)

You want to play a game and encode video at the same time? That's a bit too much to demand from your poor little PC..

Try saving the video uncompressed while you play and encoding it afterwards. (Needs a lot of disk space and a fast disk).

well as i said it can be done, i constantly see videos of guys playing ingame, the quality is fine (nothing super amazing but ideal for what i want) and there game must run smoothly. I can save it uncompressed no problem with absolutely no CPU usage for it whatsoever, drawback is the file size, 8 seconds = 200-300mb lol

What you need is a lossless compression codec. If you're recording uncompressed, then make sure you're recording at 24 or 16 bpp and not 32!

You can compress the huge file later on using any codec you like without affecting your gameplay. That's the very point.

not exactly sure what a lossless compression codec is :( do i download it and incremeant it into IUvcr or is theres a specific program for it?

And Nodsu m8 i know what you mean i was gonna do that, but i simply dont have the drive space for something like that. im intending on recording for say 2 hours straigh, that would run up about 1TB lol

I was hoping theres mybye a compression technique out there that records to its own type of compression , and then you convert it to AVI or MPEG or whatever, which keeps quality and doesnt murder computer. I remember something like this being mentioned to me so i may as well mention to you guys :)

FRAPS full-retail has it's own custom CODEC for recording in real-time. It's one of the more efficient methods to capture while playing. It still needs a very beefy PC with a ton of memory and fast disks though (RAID/Striped preferred).

Most of the videos you see on the 'net (I've made a ton) are done by chaining two PC's together rather than on the same PC, or made with FRAPS if the game pc is substantially beefy (i.e. an X2 or Core 2 Duo system with RAID 0 + FRAPS records awesome). To daisy chain, even a cheap P3/Sempron system makes an excellent recorder PC (with sufficient memory) by simply throwing over the svideo/tv-out cable from the gaming PC to the capture PC.

EDIT- try the FRAPS free demo at www.fraps.com .. It allows up to 30 seconds of video recorder in its free form.

Yea i know of fraps its the most popular one these days, but as you say it kills your pc while recording and the file size of the recorded footage is almost as bad as the uncompressed footage with IUvcr.

I was wondering though, if i was to buy a proper capture card (i have one but its an old one, happauge or something and only has avjack) , do the good ones take the strain of recording on there own? allowing the cpu to do other things? Just curious, thought id better put that question out there hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back