Best type cooler socket 479 pentium M 1.8 also should I cool southbridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samstoned

would like to passivly cool a socket 479 ,thinking heatpipe no fan
looking at the shuttle I.C.E. heatpipe and others.should I invest in heatsink for the southbridge chip?
found a nice board and cpu no intel numbers says confidential on board
not FCC approved
has a socket 479 1.8 ghz 2mb cache cpu 855gme chipset and a 6300esb southbridge
problem is no retention and heatsink /fan on cpu
not familiar with this type of processor.

yep socket 479 no typo
there are bout 4 MB manufacturer's that are making them
asus has a adapter 479 for 478 boards
my board is full ATX
855gme chipset 6300 i/o southbridge
all kinds of addon's
overclockable I should be able to run 1.8 at 2.2 with the right cooling

A southbridge cooler is probably not necessary with today's reduced chipset voltages.
For the northbridge, look at Zalman's ZM-NB32J passive heatsink (or different model, depending on chipsize).

It depends. As Southbridge chips tend pack more & more features (Lan, Sound, 1394, USB, WiFi, etc.), they're starting to heat up quite a lot. The latest Intel chipsets have a heatsink on both the north & south bridges.

nVidia with its single "chip" chipset since the nForce 3 needs at least passive cooling for the chip to stay alive, at least with the AMD version. The Intel nForce has a traditional 2-chip chipset (north & south).

As for cooling the Pentium-M passively, they've done so HERE but needed quite a high-end heatsink to do so.

Still looking,
will test without southbridge HS ,but will monitor this close as I develope board
setups ,config.
guess'n should not be so pickly bout the cpu cooler
that zalman may work ,but I don't like the temps that where recorded as this is, going (I hope) into, small box.
If anyone is interested in pics ,I can take some and post url here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back