Best video cards for under $200

Status
Not open for further replies.

osudelt69

Hey guys, I wanna know what everyone thinks is the best budget gamer card out there right now for under $200. The 9800 SE 128mb is only $129 on pricewatch! Lets here everyones oppinions. I haven't been following all the video card trends as of late. Thanks

Since the release of the next-gen cards prices have started to fall - im pretty sure you can pick a 9800 Pro 128Mg up for less than 200USD - have a look around.

Steg

Saphire 9800 pro

I'm thinking in another month these will be ~$100 then Ill get one. trying to conserve the ducats for next years super-system- that and the GF is getting itchy for a ring:eek:

watch out for the sapphire r9800s

sapphire recently began shipping 128 bit 9800s instead of the usual 256bit, this seriously gimps the card, and many people were unhappy since the boxes weren't clearly marked. They do still make the 256 bit one though.

I think they mark the 128 bit ones as SE now, not sure

Does the fact that its 128 bit really have that big of an effect?

Just stay away from SE's, they are very cheap for a very good reason.

Originally posted by ---agissi---
Does the fact that its 128 bit really have that big of an effect?

Just stay away from SE's, they are very cheap for a very good reason.

HUGE difference. And your own information confirms it, actually. :)

The reason the SEs are so much slower is the bus bit width is halved.

For example, a 9800 Pro or XT is 256-bit, where a 9800SE is 128-bit. You may have also heard of people modding their Radeon 9800SE cards to a 256-bit bus... And despite the slightly lower clock, it performs almost like a tried and true 9800 Pro.

Also, the 9600 is 128-bit, but the 9600SE is 64-bit. The performance difference is really large there too.

My link above is to a 256bit saphire. I'm thinking about getting one, but I'm concerned that replacing the 4200ti card in my media center pc is gonna give me some issues. Any opinions?

Actually the 9800se cards have a 256-bit bus but they had 4 pixel pipelines instead of 8 found on the R9800 Pro. They were also clocked slower for the core & memory.

The 9800 Pro with a 128-bit is kind of a black sheep as it is not reported anywhere on the ATI site, as if it didn't exist. It's really a shame no one tries to clarify the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back