Best video drivers for GeForce 2 and Win2K/XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilPeppard

One of my gaming computers has a Xtasy GeForce 2 64 meg PCI card in it. Should I be using the latest and greatest from NVidia, or should I stick to the older drivers that were around for the GeForce 2 series like the 12.90's?

Thanks for suggestions. :grinthumb

My thought for a Geforce 2 would be to stick with a Detonator 3 driver (1.x.xx). You can try a detonator 4 driver and see what your results are but I think stability will be an issue.

I have a Gainward GeForce 2 Pro and I use the latest official 28.32 drivers. Before that I tried the 23.11's and have not had any problems with the OFFICIAL drivers. I have tried the Detonator 4's and stability is usually an issue, but from my experience the official drivers are ok to use.

Hi,

I tried the 28.32 on my VisionTek Xtasy GF2 MX400 64mb PCI & had stability problems. Certain things looked like I was looking thru a kalidescope. Cool to look at, but ... :rolleyes:

I'm running the 23.11 (again) & the "Ge Force Tweak Utility". No problems at all with 'jaggies' , fps or 'lock-ups'. My card is based on the GTS chip (200/333), wondering if yours is too? Mine is 'over'clocked at 205/343 w/the 23.11. The 28.32 wouldn't allow 'overclocking' w/the "GFTU". :(

I had my card up to 212/343, but fps is better @ 205/343. :approve:

HTH (hope this helps),

The Detonator 4 drivers hosed my Win 2K. I had to format and reinstall Det. 3. Havent had any problems so far.

Originally posted by JAV
Hi,

I tried the 28.32 on my VisionTek Xtasy GF2 MX400 64mb PCI & had stability problems. Certain things looked like I was looking thru a kalidescope. Cool to look at, but ... :rolleyes:

I'm running the 23.11 (again) & the "Ge Force Tweak Utility". No problems at all with 'jaggies' , fps or 'lock-ups'. My card is based on the GTS chip (200/333), wondering if yours is too? Mine is 'over'clocked at 205/343 w/the 23.11. The 28.32 wouldn't allow 'overclocking' w/the "GFTU". :(

I had my card up to 212/343, but fps is better @ 205/343. :approve:

HTH (hope this helps),

I have two Xtasy GeForce 2 MX400's. Both are 64 mb cards. One is a PCI and one an AGP. Running a Hercules GeForce 3 3D Prophet 3 in my main gaming PC. I'm not overclocking any of them.

You may want to try the Detonator 28.90 driver. I have it installed in both Win98SE and XP Pro with no problems whatsoever. In fact, performance under d3d has increased (3D Mark 2001SE) in both OS's. I'll be investigating the same under opengl. You can always use Detonator Destroyer to unistall these drivers and return to a previous version.

Originally posted by wI-OSMAN-
same card now to 190/220

Are those specs for the core / mem ?

Your core should be at 200 by default. Unless it's mem / core specs in which case it's a pretty nice overclock.:)

I thought the Geforce2MX defaults were
175Core
166Memory
(at least thats the dedault on my MSI GF2MX Original)

Also, I stick with :-

Geforce 2 : <23.xx (16.xx Optimal)
Geforce 3 : 23.xx
Geforce 4 : 27.xx

The only difference between the first generation MX & the MX400 was a 25 mhz speed bump in core speed thus the 200 mhz.

It doesn't make much of a difference because GF have been limited by memory bandwidth since the GF1.

Things started to get better with the GF3 & the lightning memory architecture, making better use of the available memory bandwidth.

i got no fans on it
just regular card
i played a few games for some hours ran fine
and also ran 3d marks 2001se pro overnight it was still running in the morning

is it safe to leave it at this?

i don't know what the temp is .. how do i figure that out ?

old one:

mem=166 core=200

new one

mem=190 core=220

wI-OSMAN-

I have a 36cfm fan blowing 'across' my GF2MX400 cooling both sides of the card & the RAM & the HS on the chip & I can't get 220 core w/o problems. :(

I can run 212 (211.2) w/o stability problems tho'. I've clocked the memory up to 193.2, but just today experienced 'jaggies' on the side of my screen & turned it down to a safer (read:cooler) 186.1. No more 'jaggies' either. :cool: This is with the 29.20 driver.

Without a fan, I'd turn your card down. Better to err on the side of caution then ... :dead:

HTH,

If the card works flawlessly at 220 / 190 then leave it at that. Do you really see a difference by overclocking ? Is it really necessary ?

You'll probably get a few more FPS & a lot more HEAT & failure chances from your card. Overclocking also voids your warranty.

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli

Really? How can one tell if a card has been overclocked by software?

Maybe the melted PCB or the fire traces.:D

Maybe stores will install lie detectors in the RMA department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back