Best way to check performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocks911

My daughter just dropped her laptop and I need to check system performance before I go any further. Her screen is shot but before I spend the money to have it fixed (OR FIX IT MYSELF) I need to know that the harware and software are in working order.

How best to accomplish that?

She is running Windows XP Pro.

I'm more or less a newbie so be specific if you can.

Thanks in advance, Darryl

You might consider buying a new laptop. If the display and it's surrounding supports are damaged, this alone could cost you $1000 to repair/replace. The shock of dropping could have cracked the motherboard or loosened a heatsink or connector. Do you have any video on the display at all? Is the rest of the case intact? Checking it for performance may be impossible at this point in time.

"I'm more or less a newbie so be specific if you can." And your going to fix this yourself???

Yes actually I do have something on the display. It looks like the appropriate opening screen shot but it's hard to tell as most of the display is jacked.

I connected the laptop to an outboard monitor and it seems fine. I can get pretty much anywhere in the XP environment I want. Rather than spend the time making sure everything is working by operating it can't I run a program to check the operation? Dont want to spin a CD, then burn a disk, then run Office programs, etc. etc. would rather find a diagnostic program. Surely that comes in XP Pro, right?

isn't there a program called Windows Doctor or some such?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back