Best Way to Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Neilan

Hi chums. I was thinking about upgrading my computer in one of two ways. I’d like to know which you think would be most beneficial.

The first option is to change my motherboard to one that takes AM2 socket processor and DDR2 ram. I currently am using a Athlon 64 3200+ (939) and 1gb of DDR 400 ram. I have a PCI e 16x X800 now which would be moved to the new machine and upgraded another time. The processor I would get would be something like a E6400 or AMD 4200+.

The second option is to add another 1Gb of PC3200 ( this would leave me with a 4x 512MB stick configuration about which I’ve heard conflicting advice) memory and change to a better graphics card, maybe a X1950 Pro or something.

My specs at the moment are in detail on my profile.

My questions are:
Which is the better course of action?
Will the new faster CPU and ram be stifled by the older video card for graphics?
Intel appears atm to be better value than AMD – do you agree or are there deal to be had with AMD, do you think?
What do you make of value RAM? I want 2Gb but do I need PC6400 or is that overkill with these specs?
Is a 400W PSU sufficient (the PSU calculator talks more in the range of 500W for the upgrades I’ve mentioned and 650W for two video cards)?

I want to have a better gaming machine but want all round better performance as well. I also think I’d like to move on to the new technology ladder of DDR2 and such rather than buying spending money on the old technologies. Option one is the most expensive, though. So you know, flight simulator X has pushed this upgrade forward.

Thanks.

I would personally go for investing in a new motherboard and CPU etc unless you plan to just upgrade this machine and then later build a new one. Basically I feel its wise to keep future proofing at the front of your mind.

Personally I would recomend a Core 2 Duo chip as from what I have heard all over the net is that they offer more of a bang for your buck, hate that saying but, when compared with AMDs chips. Its all down to personal choice still though... Personally thats what I would go for, the intel core 2 duo.

Hope this helps

Yeah sounds like good adivce. If I do the motherboard and that then it will still be good enough to make putting a new graphics card in it worthwhile.

I prefer AMD to Intel but I think you're right that they have them beaten. Just hope Intel doesn't change socket too fast and make another upgrade difficult later.

Thanks very much for your help. I will continue pondering the other issues and ones that lead on from the decsions I make like those about memory and that. And dual graphics cards. Thanks again

Your welcome, although to put your mind at rest I think the LGA775 sockets are going to be around for quite some time due to the recent release of Quad core....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back