Best Wireless Gaming Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

River01

I currently have a Linksys WRT55AG router and I'm getting tired of poor wireless online gaming. Now, dont get me wrong, I understand that wireless gaming will never be its wired equivalent, however I would like at least a somewhat stable gaming/dl'ing environment where I dont have disconnects and lag spikes every 10mins.

I am currently connected to my router from the exact opposite side of a fairly large house (I know, I know but I cant do anything about it) and have weak signal strength and low mbps.

I'm looking into the D-Link DIR-635 Rangebooster Pre-N 650, the D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N, and the D-Link DGL-4300 Wireless G Gaming router and I'm leaning toward the DIR-635 due to the price.

If anyone could make any suggestions, reccommendations, or offer any advice as to where to go for the best wireless gaming experience for my next router I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Better off getting the High Power Wireless Gaming Router, the High Gain ANT is very strong more like 6db Gain or more. I was going to get one but the price is so high.

I have two Buffalo wireless high power turbo g mimo WHR-HP-G54 $59 each and Buffalo wirless high power turbo g mimo WLITX4G54HP $59. I had to get two one isn't enough if you have more than one floor in you house. Upstairs I had to put the second one. My signal strength when from low to excellent. I set the output to 100% wireless power. All 3 can handle 125Mbps. Routers can be use Wireless Access Points.

What you have there is a weak Wireless Router for average user. You want to do heavy duty wireless gaming you're going something with more power can be adjusted to suite any type of environment. I place both wireless routers/access point in the corner point on each floor near window. Remember if you want to cover large dwelling you're going to need two routers or repeaters.

Again the Dlink Gamer Wireless Router is close to what I have from Buffalo which can handle just about any type of connections. The new N is suppose to be better, but turbo G high power is about equal.

Thank you for the quick reply! Let me see if I understand how your setup works:

You have one WHR-HP-G54 attached to your modem acting as a router.

The other WHR-HP-G54 is placed upstairs acting as an access point.

And the WLITX4G54HP is connected to your wireless PC in place of a PCI adapter via the ethernet port.

Is this correct? This sounds like it may be exactly the kind of solution I was looking for. Maybe I could replace the antennas with the 7dbi D-Link ANT24-0700 which are only $16.99 a peice after rebate from newegg...

Thanks again!

You could replace the ANT with High Gain, but does the Dlink have a feature where you control the power level signal if not, then get the Buffalo Router/Access point it has a lot of features. Best bet is to get it from NewEgg or local electronic store like Circuit City.

My step-up is a bit different...

I've tested the Router/Access Point directly to my cable modem that works then use the another one on the second Floor to boost the signal there. The way this works is pretty interesting. If you set both Auto Channel one set the channel to 1 the other sets it 11. The other one is use in the Kitchen to control a wired Laptop used as caller ID/phone answering (girl friday) and Media MVP wired network streaming of video and audio hooked up to Trutech 15" LCD SD/HDTV, thus making them both wireless direct connection works like a charm.

For my purpose I still have a dual network wired and wireless. So I have 1 wired router which is the quickest one I could find is controling the network and then the two other routers are use as wireless access point to control wireless devices. I also use a 8-port Linksys Switch, I was using 5-port one but you really don't need it. I use the one of the two Router/Access Point as a switch link connects for 3 Media MVPs in 3 bedrooms.

I have also have:

3 wired Media MVPs
4 wired desktops
4 wireless laptops
1 wireless Media MVP

Wow, thats a nice network you have running in your home!

Since I am only connecting one wired pc, one wireless pc, a Nintendo Wii(which is not a big deal), and a TIVO (possibly...see below) I think my best bet is to get 2 of the buffalo WHR-HP-G54 and use one as the primary router and one as an access point, then use the buffalo WLITX4G54HP in the bedroom for my wireless PC to connect it to the wireless network (as well as maybe my ps2, which I rarely use).

Are you using WPA or WEP on your network? I know TIVO cannot handle the WPA, but its no big deal if I need to connect it to the phone line again if it means I will get a significant performance boost.

As for the high gain antenna add on I'm considering, not sure if it has any built in control features, but seeing as its just an antenna I'm pretty sure it would be controlled by the buffalo router it would be connected to, rather then its own settings.

I plan on putting the routers/access points you recommended on order from newegg tomorrow and I'm hoping for the best! *crosses fingers* :D

PS- Is there any wifi pci card you would recommend for the wireless pc or is the WLITX4G54HP the way to go?

WEP, but you have a lot of choices in the Buffalo, and when you use it has a Router it really kicks .... I've done it that way also. If you follow what I've suggested you'll be happy... The new ones from Buffalo now comes with 4db high gain ANT. I use that on the first floor at max signal rate of 100%.

Router has: NAT, SPI and Intustion Detection and all the Wireless security featuries. You can control you network by MAC address also. Best way to go and use WEP encrytion also. Buffalo support all the wireless DS and Wii also.
I had to order from NewEgg to get WLITX4G54HP and got mine quickly in 2-3 days..

The wireless ethernet converter is excellent you can use for you desktop which are wired. I also have one wired desktop that has Buffalo Wireless PCI card installed which I was using to control USB HP Color and Lexmark Laser Printers wireless. I have to finish my SOHO then get that backup. You can use Buffalo Wireless PCI they're rated for High Speed 125Mbps and if you want to could get the High Power ones they cost more. Everything is on NewEgg.

I also have (several) whr-hp-g54 buffalo high power routers. I really like them. First, they can do WDS (wireless distribution system), so they can bridge connections to make a bigger network. Second they have removeable antennas with standard rp-sma connections, which works perfectly with the wireless garden cantennas(which are awesome btw). Third, the routers are cheap comparatively speaking. Fourth, users report that the units can be flashed to a highly customizeable firmware(dd-wrt and others). I haven't done this as it can do all I want with the stock firmware. So far they've been reliable (they don't need to be reset constantly, unlike some cheap routers). One unit did fail (bricked itself) after a few months use, but buffalo was good about sending me a brand new(not refurb) replacement under warranty.

River01 said:
Great!

Last question... I promise!

Did you use dd-wrt firmware or stick with the original?
No problem with the questions, ask me anything... I've updated one of router firmware that I had earlier in 2006. The newer one has the 4db gain the firmware was the same on their site. The update fixed a problem minor giltch.

These Buffalo can run without needed to be restarted, I have them running 24/7. I am also using
488.jpg
for my wired networking. I use this one because it doesn't need to be reseted. It works faster than I've seen for a wired router and it's cheap $39 bucks at Best Buy. Downloading it quick!

Thank you for your response vnf4ultra, and thank you again tipstir. I have put the buffalo units on order from Newegg and I'm eagerly awaiting their arrival! I'll let you know how it all works out.

I havent been a member of techspot for very long, but I have a very positive experience every time I log on. The entire techspot community is very helpful and knowledgeable. Thank you all for being so great! :)

River01 said:
I havent been a member of techspot for very long, but I have a very positive experience every time I log on. The entire techspot community is very helpful and knowledgeable. Thank you all for being so great! :)

Thankyou for your positive feedback. We`re pleased that you find Techspot so useful and appreciate your comments.

Regards Howard :)

So, I will be recieving my buffalo products tomorrow *atleast hopefully*, and was looking into connecting another wireless pc to the network...

Question is do I buy another WLITX4G54HP wireless ethernet converter or get a WLI2PCIG54S pci wireless networking card (which is a bit less expensive). Will I experience any performance loss by using the pci card (which doesnt have the mimo set up like the WLITX4G54HP)?

Full spec comparison here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833162111
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833162168

If there would be a significant performance difference I'd throw down the extra cash...

I don't think you'll see a difference. I have that pci wireless card, it works well for me. For me the ethernet could have been more convenient, since it has a 4port switch built in, but I don't really need the switch at the current time. Although the ethernet converter can be positioned easier to recieve signal well...

Thats good, I had read a few negative reviews on newegg about frequent disconnects, but it may have been because they did not have a full buffalo set up like you or I. That should save me some money! Thanks!

River01 said:
So, I will be recieving my buffalo products tomorrow *atleast hopefully*, and was looking into connecting another wireless pc to the network...

Question is do I buy another WLITX4G54HP wireless ethernet converter or get a WLI2PCIG54S pci wireless networking card (which is a bit less expensive). Will I experience any performance loss by using the pci card (which doesnt have the mimo set up like the WLITX4G54HP)?

Full spec comparison here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833162111
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833162168

If there would be a significant performance difference I'd throw down the extra cash...

I have both, like I've told you before. The converter let's you keep your 10/100 set on the PC or device that you want to go Wireless. The card you can go has high 125Mbps or downgrade. Either one does a good job. Either one is good.
54Mpbs

River01 said:
Thats good, I had read a few negative reviews on newegg about frequent disconnects, but it may have been because they did not have a full buffalo set up like you or I. That should save me some money! Thanks!

Those reviews shouldn't let you say no to the Converter. I mean I use it for heavy duty media streaming sound and audio of recorded media from aother PC that I use as a HTPC. Yes it does have 4-ports switch for LAN network printer, Laptops, Desktop, Media device and game system. It does work very well looks like the Buffalo High Speed Router it also has High Power ANT and Turbo speed and more. The PCI card does not have HIGH Power ANT just Turbo G Card. They do have the HIGH Power ANT one for PCI but that cost about the same as the Converter does.

So, I have had my buffalo equipment hooked up for over a week now and.... its incredible!

What a huge performance gain over my Linksys equipment! I havent faded from an 'excellent' 54Mbps connection once yet and no disconnects! Even when both PCs are running I have no slowdown (unlike before when more than one pc running at a time meant extreme slowdown).

Thanks again for everyones help here!

J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back