Bethesda parent ZeniMax acquires id Software

By Jos
Jun 24, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In a rather unexpected move, ZeniMax Media, parent company of development studio and publisher Bethesda Softworks, announced today that it is purchasing the longstanding independent developer behind Doom and Quake. The acquisition joins together two of the most acclaimed game studios of all time, combining the first person shooter expertise of id Software with Bethesda’s proven track record in making great role playing titles like Fallout 3 the Elder Scrolls series.

Read the whole story
  2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,319   +370

Bethesda is really becoming a major power in the computer gaming community.
  3. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,280   +23

Woah!

Excellent news! :grinthumb
  4. poundsmack

poundsmack Newcomer, in training Posts: 74

This gives Bethesda access to id's Tech engine instead of licencing Gamebryo's engine. It would save the company TONS of money in licencing fees, though as a developer it would make me sad to see a switch of off Gamebryo entirely as it is a fantastic engine. All in all, i think this is a good move on both parts.
  5. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

Woah, this is definitely a surprise but I am a huge fan of both and own multiple titles from them. This could be good news for gamers overall imo :) .
  6. tengeta

tengeta TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 632

As long as they don't go EA style with the buyouts, this one should be good.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.