Bethesda says 'turn down the settings' to fix Dishonored 2 performance issues

Scorpus

Staff member

Dishonored 2 on PC is a shambles. Gamers are experiencing major performance issues with the title, and have taken to Steam to voice their displeasure at the poor level of optimization from developer Arkane Studios.

Steam reviews for the game are currently "mixed", with many reviewers complaining about massive frame rate fluctuations, laggy mouse movements, and an inability to achieve good performance even if they lower their quality settings. Many players are struggling to reach 60 FPS at 1080p with powerful, modern hardware and the latest drivers, and the in-game graphics don't suggest the game should be hard to run.

Bethesda Softworks, publisher of Dishonored 2, released a statement to Polygon suggesting PC gamers should simply reduce the quality settings to a level more reasonable for their hardware. This is despite the fact that reducing the quality settings does not address the performance issues in many cases.

Specifically, Bethesda suggests gamers should lower the resolution and only run at 1440p if you have a high-end GPU such as a GTX 1070 or higher. Steam reviews suggest those with GeForce 10 series cards, including the GTX 1080, are not achieving stutter-free performance at 1440p.

Bethesda also suggests frame rate fluctuations can be resolved by enabling V-sync, and adjusting the Adaptive Resolution to between 50 and 75 percent. Lowering texture levels and disabling TXAA is also supposed to improve performance.

The company did not say whether a patch would be released to address the widespread performance issues.

At this stage it's worth waiting before purchasing Dishonored 2 on PC to see whether Arkane Studios will actually resolve these issues. For now, the game is another poorly optimized mess at launch.

Permalink to story.

I am sick of this over and over again. Most of AAA titles coming out on PC are a mess. As far as I remember only Doom had a smooth launch this year.

That is why we need Demo's !
We need to know what we buy and how it works on our rigs before throwing 60 Euros on a game that is unplayable.

Maybe this game will follow in the footsteps of the last Batman abortion of a PC release, I wouldn't be at all surprised and I have no sympathy for the pre orderers, they should've learned their lesson years ago, their bad. Hopefully they'll get the game sorted out sometime in the future so it's not a complete loss.

Last edited:
I think we were over indulged from the fact that games stopped pushing our hardware at all and practically ran on a toaster, to now requiring beast machines to work?

Edit: Nevermind... I just saw it runs on consoles... yes, poor optimization seems like it.

I am sick of this over and over again. Most of AAA titles coming out on PC are a mess. As far as I remember only Doom had a smooth launch this year.

We need to know what we buy and how it works on our rigs before throwing 60 Euros on a game that is unplayable.

Demos actually detract from the development time of a game, it's not like baking a cake and cutting off a slice. Resources need to be dedicated to the development of the demo itself, which can be worse for the game, on a tight schedule.

What we do need is better Q&A. That is literally it. More underpaid interns or underpaid Q&A contractors to test the game on more configurations and to permit better polishing. Sometimes it does happen, but the polishing wasn't on the check-list to get the game out the door for a number of reasons. Budget, time, publishers not giving a ****, pick your poison.

So long as it sells.

Reading the Steam reviews (45% negative at time of writing), many are saying there's barely 5fps difference between Ultra vs Low. That's broken right there. As nice as it would be to believe a few apologists that "your hardware is to blame", "you're playing with the 'wrong' settings", etc, when a GTX 1050Ti gets higher and more stable fps in Doom than a GTX 1070 does in Dishonored 2, nope, it's just another cr*p unoptimised bad port.

Just benchmarked Dishonored 1 on the same hardware people are complaining of slowdowns of 15fps in Dishonored 2. It literally runs 7-8x faster. Looking at some Gamegpu screenshots (example, example, example), the visuals sure as hell don't look +600-700% better to me than the 4 year old original's (example, example).

It's not just GFX performance either, people are also complaining about a lot of other stuff, eg, tying mouse acceleration to frame-rate (and since fps is all over the place (3-90fps), so too are the controls), randomly broken stealth, excessive motion blur with no on/off toggle, voice acting for some chars like the Outsider said to be much worse (from "badass" to "snarky teen" worse) / "lost the original's fluidity", "clunky and slow in comparison", etc.

Ugh. Another 2016 "AAA" game already relegated to the 2017-2018 75%-off bargain bin for me... What's sad is I would have been perfectly happy with another Unreal Engine 3/4 based game and slightly better textures that ran fast & fluid and focussed more on maintaining "that feel" of the original. Instead they took idTech 5 engine and somehow... broke it...

Last edited:
That's the RAGE engine for you..it's POS, especially this older version that the game uses, it relies heavily on texture streaming, which is what causes the dropping frame rates on most setups.

..they should have stuck with the latest Unreal Engine.

I'm confused as to why they didn't just use the Unreal Engine like they did before?

Instead they got the IdTech 5 engine (which was already not very good) then modified it and bent it to their will. It even got it's own name (Void).

The fact it works fine on Console though it does sound like it's just poor optimization

I guessing the old boy was having a hard time making payroll this month and needed a little cash infusion .... at the expense of his "former" loyal followers ....... eh?

When a company pulls early reviews of this game and all games going forward, you know it's because they are shoveling you a pile of feces. Anyone buying this game and future bethesda games should be very leery and wait for reviews.

Another garbage AAA PC port and people keep preordering, what the...

I hope they fix it soon with patches; I want a smooth experience when I buy it in about a year from now.

I played Batman Arkham Knight recently and it ran pretty well.

These suggestions are like the devs from no mans sky... come on sue them to hell...

Enable adaptive resolution to 50% ... on 1440p. Basically we have to play at 720p on a GTX 1070. This is the epitome of indifference on Bethesda's part towards PC gamers. Sometimes I wonder why I bother playing their unoptimized games.

These suggestions are like the devs from no mans sky... come on sue them to hell...

Enable adaptive resolution to 50% ... on 1440p. Basically we have to play at 720p on a GTX 1070. This is the epitome of indifference on Bethesda's part towards PC gamers. Sometimes I wonder why I bother playing their unoptimized games.

Whoops, I don't know why I replied to your comment. It was meant to be a standalone comment.

If you cant even get your outdated engine to run smoothly on its own, don't add nVidia hardware specific garbage to it, it makes it worse for everyone.

This is exactly why we don't get demos. Devs do not want us to experience a garbage game before we shell out money to buy it. They won't sell anything if they show us how bad it is prior to launch. It's all about money. It's never about the consumer.

Bethesda+Denuvo, what a combination.

Denuvo runs fine in EA games. The Frostbite engine is impeccably optimized and Denvuo doesn't harm performance. You don't hear anyone complaining about Battlefield 1 performance issues (it also uses Denuvo)

Oh really well why didn't I think of that before. Thank you Bethesda for your words of wisdom. Let me offer some in return: FIX THE GODDAMN GAME

Last edited:
I never have any issues with new games all the ones that people are moaning about and I think that's because I decided to stick with 1080p when I upgraded by PC, my 970 just plays everything as well as it needs to be :)

I so nearly bought a 4K or 1440p screen so glad I awaited.

Back