Bethesda warns Fallout 4 players that using PC console commands may corrupt save files

midian182

Staff member

Even though the console in the PC version of Fallout 4 has been used to discover secrets such as an item-filled developer room and a harpoon-style weapon, fans have been warned by Bethesda marketing manager Pete Hines that the company advises against using console commands as it can corrupt players’ save files.

YouTube channel Tyrannicon revealed that typing “COC QASMOKE” in Fallout 4’s console will teleport players to a developer testing room that contains every item in the game, including hundreds of building materials. Similar rooms are available in two of Bethesda’s other open-world RPGs, Skyrim and Oblivion, and can be accessed via those games’ consoles.

Recently, a modder named xxdeathknight77xx discovered a hidden Harpoon gun that replaces Fallout 4's railway rifle. The console commands are used to supply ammo for the secret weapon, which some speculate is related to future DLC that will feature water-based combat (bubbles come off the harpoons when they are fired).

While the use of console commands can lead to some fun - if occasionally spoiler-filled - discoveries, using the feature may come at a cost. Hines' response to a question on Twitter about whether the console would arrive on the PS4/Xbox One was: “nope. use of the console is not supported or recommended on PC. that kind of thing isn't permitted on consoles anyway.” When asked why it wasn’t recommended he said it “can very easily mess up save games.”

Despite the warnings, it’s likely that players will continue to use Fallout 4’s console commands, particularly those who are doing a second playthrough and want to quickly level up their character.

It was reported last week that Fallout 4’s first patch will arrive on Steam later this week, with the console versions receiving it at a later date.

Permalink to story.

Save files in bethesda games I've messed up due to console commands: 0
Savefiles I've salvaged with console commands due to inventory items disappearing, weapons or items clipping through walls, npcs getting stuck, npc ai spontaneously dying and general gamebryo buginess: countless

Save files in bethesda games I've messed up due to console commands: 0
Savefiles I've salvaged with console commands due to inventory items disappearing, weapons or items clipping through walls, npcs getting stuck, npc ai spontaneously dying and general gamebryo buginess: countless

Being a member of the PC master race who's able to actually use the console commands to fix your game saves: Priceless.

"Despite the warnings, it’s likely that players will continue to use Fallout 4’s console commands, particularly those who are doing a second playthrough and want to quickly level up their character."

I will now! oh wait! nm..I don't own the game :/

Being old and slow and of somewhat limited vision, I encourage Bethesda to debug save game issues from use of console - especially no clipping, resurrect and 'player.additem 0000000A #'. Otherwise, this antique will probably have to find another wasteland.

People just cant help themselves, huh?

I've been playing Fallout 4 hours every day since its been released, and some of the things I'm seeing online can only be accomplished via console.

Cant people just play the game through without cheats first before chopping it all to pieces and posting ridiculous things online? like the tower displaying male genitalia, kids come up with the MOST original ideas nowadays. smh

Oh wait... I forgot I was talking about the human race, nevermind....

This has been the case in all Bethesda games, they shouldn't have to say this. You have rot control through the command line,.of course you can **** things up.

People just cant help themselves, huh?

I've been playing Fallout 4 hours every day since its been released, and some of the things I'm seeing online can only be accomplished via console.

Cant people just play the game through without cheats first before chopping it all to pieces and posting ridiculous things online? like the tower displaying male genitalia, kids come up with the MOST original ideas nowadays. smh

Oh wait... I forgot I was talking about the human race, nevermind....

He is not talking about adding items or god mode you can do that and it will never break your game saves. He is talking more about changing the INI files, adding custom textures ECT. The great part about Bethesda games's games is the modding, the searching for hidden Easter eggs and making our own content to add to the great work

In another person's (I had one too) star trek game at the university of illinois they use to encrypt the save files. Easy for me to break the encryption tho.

Back