Better processer for Gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Backfire

Hai(sorry if this is wrong spot,nothing i can see for processers/new computers)
iv been looking at buying a new computer(i know i could build for cheaper-to busy:D )
but whats been bugging me is that i see Duel Core processer that have like 1.8-2.3 speeds,i currently have a Celeron 2.66
so are duel cores supposed to have that speed or it is a weak processer?
is it overall speed or per core speed?
(Specs of the computer that im looking at)(also what u think about the Graphics card)

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6400 (2MB L2 Cache,2.13GHz,1066 FSB)

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition with re-installation CD

MEMORY 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 4 DIMMs

HARD DRIVE 250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™

OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability

MONITOR 19 inch E197FP Analog Flat Panel

VIDEO CARD 256MB nVidia GeForce 7900 GS

SOUND CARD Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

i was also looking at this 1 in comparison
http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=69#header (if theses any major diffrence between the two)

A core 2 duo will be very fast compared to a celeron. Even if it was a core solo(single core) at the same speed (2.13), it would be a lot faster. The reason is the core 2 duo's are more efficient, so they do more work, with less clock speed than the celerons or pentium4s. Also, the celerons have very small cache built in which severely limits their performance(the core 2 duo will have at least 4X the cache built in, probably 8X, it depends on which celeron you have). The e6400 will be a huge improvement over a celeron.

The thing is, now clock speed is not everything. AMD was, for years, been able to beat everything Intel produced simply because their CPUs did more work in one cycle than Intel's did, besides being clocked lower. That is the main difference between the Core 2 Duo and the AMD processors now.

Regarding the PC, it's perfect for gaming. The iBuyPower PC has far lower specs, with the 7900GS and the Core 2 Duo in the PC whose specs you posted being far better than the iBuyPower's Athlon 64 X2 and 7300LE. The 7900GS is a current-gen graphics card and is a terrific overclocker too. It'll make for a superb gaming machine and you can't go wrong with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back