BF2 performance question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone iam new to this forum and would like to ask a question.

First off these are my current system specs

FIC AU31 mobo (socket A)
400 mhz bus (FSB 200mhz)
1.5 gig DDR 333 (this mobo only has a 333 mem bus even though i have PC3200)
AMD +3200 barton processor.
ATI X800 XL radeon AGP 8x (core OC'ed to 420mhz, Mem OCed to 549 mhz)
westurn digital 70 gig PATA 100.

How much better would it be for Battlefield 2 game play on my current setup to upgrade to a 939 socket mobo with a AGP bus and upgrading the processor to AMD64 1.8mhz +3000?

Ive read alot into BF2 benchmarks and have not notice much of a FPS difference between lower frequency processors to higher frequency processors of the same socket class. However all of the benchmarks ive seen with my Video card on a 939 mobo seems to be twice as high as my current performance with the card. Any suggestions?

Are u sure the benchmarks u've seen are with the AGP card that u have or the PCiExpress version? Coz PCIe is twice as fast as AGP so that might be the case.

PCI-e data transfer might in theory reach speeds twice as fast as AGP, but a PCI-e card will not be twice as fast an AGP version just because of that. As for the lacking performance, it could quite possibly be because of the memory & FSB running in asynchronous mode.

The Athlon64 could indeed increase performance but at 1.8GHz I'm not sure it'll be by a very big margin.

AGP capabilities

well i honestly dont know the capabilities of the AGP bus, however there are versions of the geforce 7800 nvidia cards that are AGP which well surpass the capabilities of this ATI X800 XL card. I have also seen benchmarks comparing systems that the only variable factor would be the processor. High frequency processors seems to do just aswell as lower frequency processors of the same socket class when it comes to playing BF2 within the 939 class. The background activities with in the OS enviroment is unknown to me in these benchmarks. I have one question, how does a 939 socket mobo's AGP bus differ from a socket A's AGP bus?

What about the huge increase in bus speed?

ziggy293 said:
how does a 939 socket mobo's AGP bus differ from a socket A's AGP bus?
It doesn't. AGP8x is a standard & is implemented the same way on any board. PCI-e will certainly make use of the extra bandwidth sometime soon but right now it's not faster then AGP.

On the other hand, if you take into account SLI or Crossfire, then PCI-e is the only choice you have.

Looking at the CPU chart @ tomshardware, the Athlon64 2800+ performs quite a lot better in FarCry (& the AthlonXP actualy has DDR 400 ram instead of 333 like yours), but I'm not sure if the same would hold true with BF2. If it does, I stand corrected.

Just make sure you have lots of memory as I hear it likes having more then 1024mb.

269-261-68.png

ps. does the picture show ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back