BFG 6600 GT OC Issues

By TheRonMexico
May 29, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If anyone has this video card and is experiencing problems including green or purple polygons after a certain amount of play this thread addresses that problem.

I searched for along time to try and find a solution to the issue but to no avail.

The reason for the green/purple polygons is that the card is running to hot. I recently bought Gothic 3 and have been able to run it fairly decent until about 10 minutes in the screen begins to fill up with the green/purple polygons. I experience a little of this during Counter Strike Source but not as bad as this.

My card was running at 131 F during Gothic 3, and I found out that the cooling unit on the card is absolutely useless. For now I have a small DC fan on it with the case open until I get paid and buy some proper equipment. The fan is keeping the card at a cool 60 F during gameplay and solved my problem, which was better than the 80 F when running at idle.

FYI: I bought G3 for $10 at target.

2.4 ghz p4 intel
    Kingston 1.5 gig ram PC3200
    BFG 6600 GT OC AGP
    5'' Dia. DC fan (light blue) mounted on my desk.
  2. CMH

CMH TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,572   +9

Lol, I think we know the reasons for "artifacting".

Aftermarket cooling generally solves this problem.
  3. CCT

CCT TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,556

That's a relatively 'old' card. Have you cleaned the fan out and the heatsink?

:)
  4. TheRonMexico

TheRonMexico Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

i ran out of canned air a couple months ago and on a college budget I can't buy everything I want (new comp, new car) but have to buy things i need (food, books, and beer).
  5. CCT

CCT TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,556

A 99 cent 1/2 inch wide stiff-bristled paint brush and a borrowed vacuum cleaner with the air-out connection and a crevice tool covered in a spare cotton sock to stop dust does the job.

:)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.