BFG 6800 gt, intresting temps fact. downside of too cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOcRatEs

High/Low tolerance temp ranges
I just got my BFG 6800 gt oc RMA replacement.
I was asking tech support about temperatures, I was thinking
high temps kiiled the other card, and the possibility of switching
the stock cooling with a vga water cooling block.
Response:
First off, glad to hear the new card is working out for you. Now as for your temps, 55°c-60°c is pretty average for the idle of these cards, the one I have idles at about 59 and hits about 78°c-82°c under load without any problems. Also, the 120° degree slow down should be in celcius, not farenheit so you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Finally, for your question about using the water cooling, we would advise against this as adding a waterblock to this card will void your warranty. Also, if the card runs below about 40°c degrees celcius it begins to artifact and cause other problems.

Thank you,
Matt M
BFG Support
Being that heat builds resistance and is a PC perfomance killer, I had always thought "cooler/colder is faster/better". Not any more.. :confused:

Of course I don't want to void my lifetime warranty,
so I won't be adding the cooling block.

The biggest problem I've experienced with these BFG 6800GT's is usually caused by lack of proper case cooling.

These cards come out of the factory overclocked, and thus (under load) can get very, very hot. I disagree with their 120C threshhold as ~100C seems to be the best point of concern. If your card, under load, never hits 100C, then you have nothing to worry about.

As far as case cooling goes, you must have case cooling configured to create an airflow in your case. This means proper orientation of case fans to remove trapped heat near the central core of your mainboard (i.e. the area around the CPU, memory and video slot). Many people get adequate case fans then just slap them in all blowing inwards or something similar. This does NOT create an airflow to lift and exhaust trapped/built-up heat!

One of the best forms of case ventilation I've found for higher-end systems with high-end videocards and cpu's... put two 80mm case fans in the front of the case to suck air inwards (intake), and two 80mm case fans in the back/top of the case to pull air outwards (exhaust). This creates a nice flow- Antec (and other popular brand) cases are designed with this in mind as they have lower/front fan mounts, and higher back fan mounts.

This creates air pressure from front-to-back, and a nice airflow over the heated core of your system to pick-up and remove the built up heat there.

Well you could add a water block overclock your card so that your card runs at normal operating temps for a stock 6800GT. Most people that add water blocks are looking for overclocking and some for noise reduction otherwise stock cooling should be sufficient.

Iam air flow congiured very similar to that example.Sharkfood
120mm lower front, side panel 120mm, both intake.
2x 80mm upper rear, below psu, exhausting.
PSU dual 80mm's exhausting.
antec pci slot fan below video card intake slow cfm speed directly to
vga.
Big water kit cpu only, radiator outside with 120mm.
With the thought of super conductivity in mind, I never thought
too cold could be a vga performance factor.
I wonder if the way I have my air flow set up, if the other card
was running too cool, but then artifacts were not the only symptoms.
My video was causing lock ups at windows boot as well at bios post with
artifacts and no BSOD's.
A simple switch of video cards proved the 6800 failure. Tech support agree'd
and I got RMA replacement.

BringinHeat, Iam, at this point, more in the quiter realm.
Tho Iam bump'in my cpu from p4 2.4c prescott to 2.88

From what you tell me it was definately a faulty video card cuz no matter what kinda air cooling you do to a 6800 GT it still wont be enough to give it sub 40 degree temps.

I have the 6800 Gt by the way, great card just needs alot of juice to run but a great overclocker and performer for the money.

:wave:

Where's the "Card Temp Graph" window?

I just installed a BFG 6800 GT 256mb last night and was told by a guy in the Best Buy store that I can view the Temperature Graph of this card while playing a game (MOH Pacific Assult). Is this correct? If yes, how do I get the graph to appear whileplaying , or for that matter where is it, period? I know it exists because you guys are alway talking about the card temerature.... Thanks in advance... John

Yea you can if you want the graphical version go to guru3d.com and download rivatuner. This app lets you overclock your card plus lets you check on the temps, fps, pretty much everything you need to know while playing.

If you want just the temps your driver should do it as well. Right click on desktop, go to properties, settings tab, advanced, 6800 GT tab and then click temp settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back