BFG Geforce 6800 GT not strong enough for Counterstrike:Source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madcatmk2123

Hello, as the title suggest I bought a new BFG 6800 GT AGP card and my FPS are a measly average of 30fps with not much going on. The graphics setting when on recommended (all high, 1024x768, 2xAA 4XAF) produce 21 fps in action; but when i put it to the full out max (8xAA 12xAF) i get a slightly higher 24FPS. Anyone know why my FPS for Counterstrik: Source is so low when other 6800gt are getting 35+ in the same situations or what is up with the slight speed increase with more graphic loaded? Any help to try and fix my low frames is appreciated greatly as its driving me nuts especially when it goes to 10fps on occassion!! Thanks for the help.

comp specs:
P4 HT 3.0GHZ socket T
Foxconn MB
1GB Kensington pc3200 ram
1 200 GB maxtor, 1 30 GB western digital HD's
BFG Geforce 6800 GT AGP

make sure u don't have to many background processes going on. I usually have an avg. of 30 processes. Make sure you have updated drivers for you video card as well www.nvidia.com

to figure out how many processes you have running hit ctrl+alt+delete and look at the processes tab. the bottom left should have a number. Mine is also around 30. It would have to be pretty bad to slow you down that much

madcatmk2123 said:
i mostly only have norton antivirus going on in the background. Cant be the slowing it down this much can it?
Norton is probably what is doing it. Huge system hog. Just for the fun of it you should uninstall it and then try playing the game. You will most like be very happy with you see after that.

Would turning off active detection or just turning it off in general be the same? I Dont really want to get rid of it as we do use it and I hate screwing with the registry to delete the damn thing.

Doesn't make a difference you need to get rid of it. You will be a lot better off with an Antivirus program that doesn't take up as much of yoru resources and one that acutally works. Norton has one of the worst track records for missing things right now.

How bad is it doing compared to the others? Anything that works better that wont hog the system and isnt outrageously expensive? On the "Doesn't make a difference you need to get rid of it." < Do you mean that turning it off wont help at all or that turning it off will work but deleting and switching better?

Yes just turning it off won't make that much of a differnece. it get way to far into the system. Only way to really fix it is to uninstall.

As far as how bad it is doing. Last review I saw stated that acceptable failure rate in that buisness is missing 5%. When the tested it Norton scored 20% failure. You woudl be much better off with something like Panda, or a nice one that I really like AVG which is free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back