Big computer problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok im not sure where to post this but it seemed like the correct place.

i have a referbuished desktop computer it's got and intel prosscer and runs windows xp.
Well we had a power outage the other night and since then the compuer everytime you turn it on it loads to a screen that has a bunch of numbers on it then another screen that say's the computer's last shut down was not sucessful..... then gives me 4 options

start in safe mode
start in safemode with command box
start in last good known configuration
start normally

i've tried all of these things it will start and go to the screen that says windows xp like the loading screen then the computer beeps and starts over again it won't even go in to the computers log in screen. I'm not sure why it would do this. when the lights went out i was working on a new video in windows movie make and has yahoo messenger and a nother messenger called i.m.v.u running. i don't know if that would help but who knows?

Your hard drive or it's files have been damaged by the power outage... time to take the system to a repair shop

You can try booting from your XP disk and doing a repair.

From the sounds of it though you probably don't have an XP disk, and in that case, do what Tmagic650 said.

Good luck with the repair process. IMO, try and get a UPS so it doesn't happen again, especially if the power outages are frequent.

If you have the XP disk, are you going into the bios to set the boot order to CD ROM first?? If not, then do it. If you did, then the hard drive IS toast. Hard drives aren't that hard to replace. You just have to be careful and patient. Once the old hard drive is removed, replace it with the new one, set the boot order in the bios to CD ROM, pop the XP disk in and Windows should start to load. Follow all the instructions for a fresh install. The hardest thing about doing this is the waiting and then the reloading of everything once Windows is installed. If there is anything on the dead hard drive you wanted to save, let me know when you get to that point and I'll guide you from there on how to slave it and try to recover what you want. It may or may not work depending on how bad the hard drive is. There is also a trick by putting the dead hard drive in a ziplock back and then into the freezer for a couple of hours, but once you take it out, you only have a short period of time to connect it as a slave drive and to access it to copy your files to the new hard drive before it dies for good.

bios

how do i get in to the bios setting? i got there once but dont know how to get there again.cuz i think your idea would work if i could just manage getting there

the first thing after a power failure is to run CHKDSK /F

the second is to run SFC /SCANNOW

you need to ensure that the HD is safe to use before you start writing new files into
a corrupted filesystem

OMG!!! I can't believe that someone did not suggest this as of yet... Open your case, take everything out, IE your sound card, Nic card, un hook the ps to your cd drive as well as the ide cable etc... All you want is the mobo hooked and your video... Just enough to boot... Fire it up.. If it boots, hook stuff one item at a time til it fails... I had the same prob and it was a resource conflict caused by a fried modem from a surge...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back