Big Gaming Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok to start it off I have been haveing problems for about a year now here are my specs

p4 2.8 HT 800FSB
Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G i865PE motherboard
1.25 gig of DDR 400
ATI x850xt 256
2 40 gig 7200 HD
1 SATA 80 gig
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

I believe that is all you need to know...and here is the problem I have done updates correctly everythin is up to date I have done anything I can possibly figure out...but no matter what when I play games I get Crap Frames Per Second...where my friends have half the system I do and a very cheap card get better and more constant frames???? help me please...I'm willing to even send someone 10 bucks VIA PayPal that can help me fix this problem...that is how desperate I am ..I know its just 10 bucks but its 10 bucks you didnt have ....HELP ME!!!

games I play
Counter-Strike: Source I drop to an average of 20 to 30 fps ...yes v-sync is off fps_max 300, rate 25000, cl_cmdrate 30, cl_updaterate 20 I do get sometimes up in the 100's but then it shoots right back down like something is hogging it .....this game is a hog and all messed up with the programing but still like I said before people with half my system get from 70 to 130 constant....I knwo cause I stood behind them and watched....help me ..if you have any helpful things to do e-mail at oistupidoi81@aol.com

I do check spyware and after checks of that and virus's still does teh same thing...laterz

>>Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G i865PE motherboard
>>1.25 gig of DDR 400

There's your problem. Dual-channel/ddr mainboard with 1.25 gigs of memory. This means you're operating at single-channel bandwidth, thus starving the P4 for memory bandwidth to perform like a Celeron.

Install memory in PAIRS in the proper slots on that mainboard to ensure/enable dual-channel mode. Source engine games (DOD, HL2, CS:S, etc.etc.) are very, very reliant on CPU workload, especially with DX9.0 compliant videocards.

For that P4, you're talking starving it to maybe 2400-2900mb/s versus 4800-5000mb/sec bandwidth just by not using memory in even pairs.

2x512MB for 1gig in dual-channel mode would be my best suggestion. What arrangement/sizes of DDR's do you have to make up for 1.25 gig? Is there a way to get dual-channel working with what you have, less a little memory?

Hit:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=177

And download SiSoft Sandra and run it's memory bandwidth tests. You can test your memory arrangement to clearly see if you can get dual-channel working properly. You'll see a huge jump in memory/cpu performance in that test (usually close to 2x) once you have dual-channel arrangement correctly configured.

would that make a big enough impact???? if I went and got 2 512 sticks of ddr 400 dual channel then I have 2 256 ddr 400 dual channel as well??? so 1.5 gig of dual channel??? would that work ? enough for me to notice the difference? o and I'm running 2 256 dual channel sticks and a 512 and 256 non dual channel sticks

Remove all the memory aside from the 2x256 and put them in dual-channel mode for a total of 512mb of ram.

Make sure (with Sisoft or bios/post tests) it is running in Dual-Channel mode and test CS:S out. Even with 512mb, in dual channel your performance should be 2x-4x greater.

Realize you'll still have a few fps dives here and there as CS:S online engine is coded a bit inefficiently, but overall your framerates should be stellar.

After this, yes you may wish to pick up another 512mb stick, and run 2x512, 2x256 for a total of 1.5 gig.

ok I now have 1.5 gig of Dual Channel DDR 400...

I'm still not getting the fps that I should be getting...I was playing and was going constant 40 fps in source ??? any other sugestions???

Download SiSoft Sandra from two posts ago and run it's memory bandwidth tests. We need to run that and possibly a few others to ensure your memory and CPU->memory controller configuration is running properly with your arrangement.

The top two bars/graphs are what we're interested in from the "Memory Bandwidth Test" in it's display.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back