TechSpot

BIG monitor req'd

By vega
Apr 5, 2004
  1. As my crappy generic 19 inch monitors on its last legs, I've decided to take the plunge and purchase a new, good quality large screen monitor (crt) but find that theres quite a bewildering number of monitors out there - are there any happy large screeners out there who can make recomendations?
    My budget is £550

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Check this page
    http://www.bargains.co.uk/navigate.php3?cid=2194
    22" IIyama for £514.- near the bottom.

Stay away from Hansol, Belinea Princeton

Recommended: Sony, Eizo, IIyama, NEC

I have a 19" Sony 420GS. If I would ever need a bigger monitor, it would almost certainly be a Sony CRT. Love the flat Trinitron.

3. Viva_Las Vegas

Viva_Las Vegas TS Rookie Posts: 16

If Im not to late,

I too, love my games, so when it came time to upgrade, this is what I did.

ATI AIW with DVI, to a Sony WEGA 36" flatscreen (crt) also with DVI connection.....makes for some in your face game playing.

4. vega

vega TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 147

now theres an idea! Hooking it up to my panasonic 36 pf10 would be pretty cool but for one thing - on such a big screen, theres the inevitable loss of resolution and I'd also have to move one of my computers into the same room as the tv which would be one hell of an hassle.

5. Godataloss

Godataloss TS Rookie Posts: 482

What resolutions are you running on the Wega? Is it a high-def monitor? I cannot get my Hitachi 57'' high def to be recognized as anything other than plug and play vga. Waiting to upgrade my geforce 4200ti until they make a card with component outputs though if I could pick up a cheap ATI card that would work, I may scrap my plans to build a mini-itx theater pc and go with a shuttle instead.

Projection monitors might not be ideal for a primary display in a desktop environment, but in a dual display set-up anyone with the room in their office might consider a table-top projection rig for gaming. Akai makes a great 42'' for $800 bucks which would be close to vega's price point.

6. Viva_Las Vegas

Viva_Las Vegas TS Rookie Posts: 16

What resolutions are you running on the Wega?- 720x480

Is it a high-def monitor?- Yes

try this fourm, them guys are much smarter then I, Im sure they could help you with your 57"Hitachi

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

7. somekid007

somekid007 TS Rookie Posts: 271

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.