Big new batch of updates, problems

macx

I see where MS has just released a big batch of what they call essential security updates. I run Win 7 and want to keep it that way for awhile, don't want Win 10 forced down my throat, esp with all the tracking it does.

Anyway, I do have that GWX anti-10 thing installed to keep Win 10 away. After I allowed this last big batch of updates to install, I found that was gone and there were a number of Win 10 related files in my computer.

I quickly re-installed the GWX thing and got rid of the Win 10 stuff. But now I'm probly also missing out on
some legit security updates, too.

I'm sure I can't be the only and/or first one to discover this. Is there a list out of which updates to avoid like there was awhile ago on the tracking?

Of course it is, you're buying what their selling.
From a sales point of view that is true. But Microsoft is pushing their OS on Windows 7 and Windows 8 users. That has never been done before, because for the first time Windows is offered as a free upgrade. And as if Windows 7 and 8 wasn't bad enough, updates in Windows 10 can't be turned off making it worse.

I think that the big companies are all going to be tracking us. Regular notices from Google come up when I do searches too. There's a danger of being paranoid over this. Windows 10 is great and free. You can spend time changing privacy settings if that's your thing or look into free OSs like Linux. Microsoft don't want to waste resources on older OSs which will inevitably become less and less secure. Avoiding security updates is not a sensible policy.

I think that the big companies are all going to be tracking us. Regular notices from Google come up when I do searches too. There's a danger of being paranoid over this. Windows 10 is great and free. You can spend time changing privacy settings if that's your thing or look into free OSs like Linux. Microsoft don't want to waste resources on older OSs which will inevitably become less and less secure. Avoiding security updates is not a sensible policy.
Its OK, they'll be spending more time with Broni due to irrational fears.

As far as having Win 7 shoved down my throat, I have this to say

I guess I mistook this for a Help forum like it used to be. I didn't realize Microsoft had taken control of the forum.

I haven't been on here for some time because I've been using Windows 7 for a long time and am familiar enough with it for what I need to do, both previously at my admin job and now as a retired home user, so that I don't need to ask for help figuring out how to do something very often.

Before Win 7, I was happy with XP for years, then was forced to learn Win 7. Luckily I was able to avoid having to learn 2000 and Vista and 8/8.1 in the interim.

I'm 69 and have lots better things to do with my remaining years than to learn a totally new, confusing windoze system every couple years that would not help in any way to improve what I have been doing for years with Win 7, just because some egocentric IT engineers want to shove something "new and improved" (what a joke!) down my throat so they can justify keeping their jobs by continually coming up with some fubar'd new system that does nothing more for most users than confound and confuse them over and over.

And, might I add, I don't need some rude jerk who injects the Microsoft Kool Aid directly into his veins to tell me what I should be using.

As far as having Win 7 shoved down my throat, I have this to say

I guess I mistook this for a Help forum like it used to be. I didn't realize Microsoft had taken control of the forum.

I haven't been on here for some time because I've been using Windows 7 for a long time and am familiar enough with it for what I need to do, both previously at my admin job and now as a retired home user, so that I don't need to ask for help figuring out how to do something very often.

Before Win 7, I was happy with XP for years, then was forced to learn Win 7. Luckily I was able to avoid having to learn 2000 and Vista and 8/8.1 in the interim.

I'm 69 and have lots better things to do with my remaining years than to learn a totally new, confusing windoze system every couple years that would not help in any way to improve what I have been doing for years with Win 7, just because some egocentric IT engineers want to shove something "new and improved" (what a joke!) down my throat so they can justify keeping their jobs by continually coming up with some fubar'd new system that does nothing more for most users than confound and confuse them over and over.

And, might I add, I don't need some rude jerk who injects the Microsoft Kool Aid directly into his veins to tell me what I should be using.
No one needs the rude jerks telling them what to use or why something they like using is spyware. Most don't even understand what spyware does or why.

How true! I don't care if someone wants to use Windows 10. I don't like being tracked and targeted with all kinds of ads,
and I sure don't want to have to learn a whole new confusing system every couple years. I'm sure Win 10 is fine from lots
of perspectives esp if you like being tracked and half of your downloads consisting of targeted ads - every other system Win
puts out is decent, every other one is usually met with scorn and derision. I'm currently helping a couple friends fight their way
thru a number of 8.1 issues so am having to learn some things about it in spite of myself. It has merely reinforced my idea of
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

At 69, I probly don't have THAT many more years to worry about internet nasties, altho I do still use Firefox with a lot of security and
privacy add ons, plus a good AV and several anti malware apps and regularly back up. At my age, change simply for the sake
of changing to something somebody else tells me is "new and wonderful" is not very desirable without a very good reason.

And I have read and have begun to experience for myself this thing about sites refusing to open unless you turn your ad-blockers off.
Well most if not all of those are going to lose THIS reader! They can stick those ads where they belong - where the sun doesn't shine.
If I want to buy something, I'll research it on unbiased reviews and form my own unbiased opinions. Ads are hardly unbiased. And this
horse hockey about ads "enhancing your browsing experience" is just that. Are people really that stupid and gullible?! If I want half of
my viewing to be taken up by ads for stuff I don't want, I'll turn on the tv! At least a few of those are entertaining.

I have never turned off ad blocker for any site, and I have never missed out on any story that interested me, the one truth of the internet is there is no lack of redundancy, there is no exclusive content.

I've actually just got hit with it once, and that was just this afternoon.

Forbes wouldn't open an article and kept telling me I had to turn off the ad-blocker first.

Didn't need it that bad.

I'd like to point out to macx that 69 isn't old and that he should most certainly be capable of learning new stuff. However, as it is questionable whether arguing over stupid things has any value I'm leaving this thread.

Back