Big problem with startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when I got home from work on Saturday, my computer had a black screen with a Microsoft Update logo at the bottom right of the screen, saying something about an error updating. When I restarted, the computer would not load windows. I got a message stating:

"The following file is missing or corrupt: System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys"

So I put in my system recovery disk to repair the file, pressed F10 at the startup screen to load system recovery, and it would not load the recovery interface, saying:

"The following file is missing or corrupt: acpi.sys"
though sometimes it says iaStor.sys is the corrupt file when trying to load system recovery.

I don't know if a virus deleted a bunch of system files, or if my hard drive is bad or what. I had a few "blocked intrusion attempts" on my comp a few weeks ago, and updated my Norton Antivirus definitions last week, and a scan on Friday showed no viruses. I don't know if that is related or not.

Any advice on how to fix the problem without reformatting my hard drive would be very appreciated.

I have Windows XP, and an HP Pavilion a820n.

Are you referring to the system recovery console in the windows installation cd? Cuz natrually I dont remember an f12... But I do remember needing to press R.

Have you upgraded operating systems any time recently?

Have you replaced any internal parts(ram?)

There is an option in the bios to disable the acpi.sys..

Sometimes malware replicates system files such as ntfs.sys.

if you manage to get into a command line interface you have the option of replacing the system files inside the i386 folder that sits in your installation cd. copy cd:\i386\ntfs.sys drive:\windows\system32\drivers or any of the other drivers that is giving you errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back