Big trouble after replacing CPU heatsink/fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,

I really don't know much about computers but I do know smoke probably isn't good. Here is my problem. My computer was broken and a friend told me to replace one thing. The CPU heatsink. I didn't really know how to place in a new one but I figured I could do it. It was pretty fun but I ran into trouble. I bought this things...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835114055

I took off the old one and put some new glue on the CPU because I touched it and it was gouwy.The holes didn't really match up so I made my own. Then it still didn't hold so well so I put on some tape on the sides. When it was finished I put the side of the case back on and tried turning it on. It turned on and was good but I smelled burning and something sounds like it was flying around the inside hitting the sides for a little bit. Then it went away. I keep the computer on and there was a little black smoke coming out the back and sides. I thought if I could turn up the cpu fan it would speed up but I didn't really know how to do it. I went into the blue screen thing and turned the cpu up from like 3000mhz to 4500mhz... after that the plug started sparking and power went out in like the whole house! There was a lot of smoke so i ran outside for the garden hose and started spraying the computer through the vents. Everything cleared out and I tryed turning on the computer again but it would not start. Please help! Thank You Everyone!

Oh I almost forgot the specifications! I don't actually know them but a friend wrote them down!

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 3.0Ghz,
EVGA Nvidia 780i Motherboard, I don't know but he said this was rare!
4GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM
3x8800Ultras 768MB
1200Watt Powersupply ThermalTake ToughPower

I received this computer as a gift and was told to take good care because it was expensive! Please Help! Thank you!

P.S. A lot of rules on this forums!

sillygirl85 said:
I took off the old one and put some new glue on the CPU because I touched it and it was gouwy.The holes didn't really match up so I made my own. Then it still didn't hold so well so I put on some tape on the sides. ...and turned the cpu up from like 3000mhz to 4500mhz... after that the plug started sparking and power went out in like the whole house! There was a lot of smoke so i ran outside for the garden hose and started spraying the computer through the vents.

There was a good support audio on this once
Package up the computer and take it back to the retail store and something else

Anyway more of these to break the monotony here
:)

I had a customer call me and say that smoke is coming from my computer please help (this is a true story)

I said is the computer off and they said Yes

I attended the customer's site about 2 hours later and the computer was bellowing out smoke !!! (And still on)

The first thing I did was to turn off the computer (wasn't it meant to be off)

I then rudely, turned around to the staff and said Why didn't you turn off the computer ? (waving the smoke away from my eyes)

They informed me that nothing was on the screen (it was blank) and therefore they thought it was off (Umm No ! )

I made a mental note, not to believe everything the customer tells me
I think the same rule may apply here

I think it is a safe assumption to say that you're computer is dead. Some parts of it might be salvageable & work when installed in another computer, but your current computer as a whole is dead. You can try to contact the vendor & discuss support/replacement but I think even that is far fetched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back