Big Trouble with Active Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klytus

I have a client who is getting a big whit screen in Windows XP SP2, because there is a problem with Active Desktop. It is turned off, but he cannot change settings. He gets an error message about restoring it, but no matter what he does, nothing happens, and he keeps getting errors.

Here is my worklog. Any idea would be appreciated:

"... the error he was having is that he *can* get into Windows, and he is not able to change his Active Desktop settings. They are *off*, "Internet Explorer Script error: An error has occurred on the script on this page. Line 65: Char1 error Object doesn't support this action. Code; 0 URL fil:///c:/documents%20%&%20 settings/kh19423/application%20data/microsoft/internet%20explorer/desktop.htt" Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?" No matter what he chooses, the problem (a bright white desktop) does not go away. Had him navigate to C:\Doucments & Settings\kh19423\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer and delete desktop.htt. Log off and Log in again. Same problem. Restore Active Desktop - gets the same message Had him delete the entire contents of the directory. Went into "msconfig" to edit startup items. Reboot. It looked good again at first, Active Desktop Recovery came up again. In msconfig, some start-up items were restored. He de-selected a few more items. Went to find the folder - they all came back. Restart again - same problem. Advised client I will do some research and get back to him

Sjbrand99 said:
have you seen this after a crash or BSOD? Have you tried Ctrl Panel?

There was no BSOD. And where in Control Panel do you mean? Display Settings? The user tired to go into the normal Active Desktop settings to chnage it - only it is greyed out and he cannot change them.

you're on the right track; Active Desktop is not a requirement and *.htt files
are a common means to inject bugs into a (web) system.

your issue is clearly to disable Active Desktop ...

did you see this reference

jobeard said:
you're on the right track; Active Desktop is not a requirement and *.htt files
are a common means to inject bugs into a (web) system.

your issue is clearly to disable Active Desktop ...

did you see this reference

The end-user told me he *tried* to disable Active Desktop. Only it is already showing up as disabled, AND it is greyed out so he can't turn it on and then off again anyway.

But if *.htt files can be trojans, the next step is to update the anti-virus and run a sweep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back