BIG TROUBLe

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay...sorry for the informal IT language, but i'm not very computer orientated, but i will try my best.

OK...firstly i have installed a fresh copy of windows, everything worked fine, then i installed my drivers for some chipsets and for other parts, after this installation, my computer restarted by itself. Now for some reason, the computer runs, sees 2/2 hard drives when it first boots up, then after the windows professional page comes up, the blue screen comes up for like a split second before it resets. I have tried changing the settings in the bios section which has made things worse. Now after the startup, my usb mouse and key board aren't fuctional. they turn on for like 5 seconds then switch off and have no function

having had this trouble i decided a possiblity would be to install a fresh copy again onto one of my hard disks, but when i install the windows, it says it cannot find my hard drives as they aren't any. but when windows start up, it can see my hard drive. and also one more change, it says my SMART capability is disabled, which usually is enabled :S.

please help asap.
Cheers :D

okay to make it clearer if at all,

now my computer practically runs, sees harddrives only on startup, then does not see them after that, and windows logo comes up with the little green bar that scrolls left, and den the blue screen of death comes up. it has all this gibberish writing on the blue screen of death and then just restarts. i have tried installing windows fresh but it says i have no hard drives. any questions i'll be glad to answer.

cheers. :D

I will try to help you as best I can. The first thing you should do, is set your bios to "Default Values", or you might have an "Optimized values". After the reset, place in your memory timings and processor stuff. See if it will let you past that. As far as the BSOD, you might want to boot to your windows cd and then enter the Recovery Console and running the program CHKDSK.

thanks gavin...but still no luck.

i have done your first task, to set my bios to default values, but it still just resets after the BSOD. I do not really understand what you mean by placing your memory timings and processor stuff. i've tried booting up the windows cd and entering the recovery console, but it says that it cannot find any hard drives and my only option after that is to restart the computer and i am using a real version of windows xp :S

Well, each stick of memory has its own latency timings. Usually they will be in your bios for you to set (usually under advanced options). Such as mine, I have corsair (1 GB XMS pc 2700) and the latency timings are 2.5:3:3:3.2, these are very important for non-ecc memory. Most ECC memory will have timings that are based on the memory, and have no default timings. Im not too sure what type you have, but you will want to check the manufacturers website for them. Then enter them in your bios. As far as the processor, each has its own clock. Again, such as my P4 2.66, the clock is 133 X 20. This is also where you can overclock, but we wont get into that. Usually the processor will set itself to its default value in your Bios. I would hope that you could get a stop code for the BSOD, but I understand that it restarts too fast. Usually if your computer restarts randomly, especially after a new build, its due to an HD transfer without a repair/reinstall, or a memory timing error. You might also want to read your manual for ONBOARD jumper settings. One other thing...does your HD detect in the bios?

Ok, i get what you mean now, and i have set it up, but still no luck. it's still the same restarting again.. the big bad bSOD. and that's the thing it's not really my hd detecting my bios but more so bios detecting hd. My harddrives are they but for some reason they are not detected...that is why windows xp is not starting. i don't know why my computer is not detecting it because when you first start the computer, i can see my hard drives, but after that i have no luck, it says my hard drives don't exist and so it won't start up. yet when i go into the bios option, i can see my drives but not run them.

I'm really not too sure what to do. but yh. is there a way to boot and test the harddrives? because they dont' function?

Cheers.

thanks again gavin for putting forward all these suggestions

try removing one of the drives do another fresh install
by that you want to delete any existing OS on the drive
then reformat drive again.
if ide no need to load drivers if sata load the sata motherboard controller drivers
sometimes if using a xp pro with service pak 2 you don't need to do this
be careful as sata motherboards have four ports 2 are reserved sometimes for raid don't use them just yet.
check your chipsets make sure that the drivers you tried to use are the right ones
and oh ya if xp reports that the proper drivers are loaded and it is working leave it alone
I would be careful about changing ram settings most cases the bios will auto set these functions
good idea to reset cmos then go to bios and use optimum default settings
clean the motherboard reset all the memory
reset all the cables
good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back