TechSpot

BIOS AMIBIOS 8 Recovery

By Mateo
May 11, 2005
  1. I Recently purchased an ECS 915G-A motherboard. It worked fine at first but I had some hang-up problems and cpu temp reading problems, so I went to the ecs website and saw that they had a bios upgrade to solve these issues. I followed all instructions to a tee, but after flashing, the board won't post. I have power to everything but no POST and no beeps. after some extensive research, I learned that to recover the bootblock of an amibios chip, one should download the latest version of the bios update (*****.ROM), change the title to AMIBOOT.ROM, copy it to a floppy and insert it into the drive, power up, wait 3 to 5 minutes, hear 4 beeps, and all is well. I have now tried this with 5 differnt bios upgrade versions for that board... the latest two run for about 30 sec. then quit, and the three before that run forever in a loop. I have cleared the cmos using the jumper and through removing the battery before each trial, with still no luck. Please help...

Thank you

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Obviously during the flashing of your bios, something has gone terribly wrong.

I fear that you may have to think in terms of a new mobo, unless of course your mobo manufacturer would be willing to let you have a new bios chip.

Contact you mobo manufacturer and see if there`s anything they can do for you.

I`m sorry if this isn`t of much help.

Good luck and regards Howard :cool:

3. Mateo

Mateo TS Rookie Topic Starter

ECS Support Stinks

Thanks for the reply Howard... I have been going back and forth with the tech guys at ECS through e-mail, and have determined they either don't want to or don't know how to help me. When I told them that I am not the only one with this problem, they went so far as to take offense as if I was blasting their product. Unfortunately, I am stuck with them because I believe they are the only company on the market that makes a M/B with a with both AGP and PCI express slots, giving them a huge advantage with guys like me who don't quite have enough cash yet to drop on a sweet PCI-E card but want the capabillities there when the time is right.

4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

I`m very sorry to hear that you`re having problems with your mobo manufacturer.

If you cannot persuade them to let you have a new bios chip, then unfortunately a new mobo is in order.

From what I understand about pci-e cards, yes they do provide extra bandwidth but as yet it really isn`t needed. AGP has more than enough bandwidth at the moment. See HERE and HERE for more on pci-e.

I hope that you get your problem sorted out real soon.

Good luck and regards Howard :cool:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.