BIOS cannot detect my Hitachi 320gb hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys..
i have a problem with my SATA Hdd.

Recently, i bought Hitachi 320Gb SATA Hdd.
The problem is my bios cannot detect the SATA Hdd attched.

For your information i used:
Motherboard: ECS P4M800-M7
BIOS: VIA® P4M800 & VT8237R

The MoBo manual said that i have to press 'Tab' button during POST to enter the VIA Raid Bios when i boot my computer but after i press Tab button nothing effect. So i cannot enter the VIA Raid Bios to configure my SATA Hdd.

Is it any other method i can do beside entering the VIA Raid Bios to settle down my prob?

Please help me guys..

Make sure you installed the driver for this prior it should be on a CD.
Download ECS drivers for Raid so that your BIOS will detect the SATA. I did the samething for MSI MOBO using VIA drivers. It does work. What will happen after the first boot you'll get a screen saying it has detected RAID 0 or SATA device or HDD.

Also you better update your VIA chipset drivers also while you're at it..

Remove the HDD since its not working for you.
Buy another HDD brand or get Ultra 133 then go back to EIDE?
Or keep the drive and buy a USB2 SATA HDD External Case use that way through USB.

this is not hdd failure..
i tried to attached the hdd to my friend's computer and it detected the hdd..
so..any other way besides buying another hdd?

the problem is not the hdd but the BIOS..
how to setup Raid in BIOS?

No matter how much i press the TAB button but the first screen for Raid setup doesn't appear..

Many Via chipsets don't support SATA2 HDD's.

You'll need to go to Hitachi Website & find out how to limit it to 150 - it'll be a jumper setting.

On Western Digitals, it's pins 5&6 {counting from Right}, couldn't tell you about Hitachi.

Right now data transfer bit up to 3G/s..too fast for me..
but the thing is until now MoBo doesnt detect my hdd...
im so sad..

You have misread your manual. You only press TAB to enter the VIA RAID configuration utility if you intend to set up a RAID configuration. You only have one SATA hard drive. A RAID configuration requires TWO or more hard drives. You cannot setup a RAID configuration with only one SATA hard drive.

So what to do? You must first ensure that the SATA controller driver is installed. You cannot do anything with your new Hitachi SATA hard drive without the SATA driver installed on the motherboard. Go to the Device Manager and see if there are any yellow symbols next to any devices, especially the new hard drive.

If you need to install the SATA driver follow this procedure taken from page 48 of the motherboard manual:

"Existing Windows XP Driver Installation
1 Insert the ECS CD into the CD-ROM drive.
2 The CD will auto-run and the setup screen will appear.
3 Under the Driver tab, click on VIA SATA RAID Utility.
4 The drivers will be automatically installed.

Confirming Windows XP Driver Installation
1 From Windows XP, open the Control Panel from My Computer followed by the System icon.
2 Choose the Hardware tab, then click the Device manager tab.
3 Click the “+” in front of the SCSI and RAID Controllers hardware type. The driver VIA IDE RAID Host Controller should appear.
"

Once the SATA/RAID drivers are installed, in order to use your new Hitachi SATA hard drive, you must format it and if you wish, partition it also. Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management. The SATA hard drive should be listed here. Format and/or partition here.

For more information on how to use Disk Management see the Microsoft website page here.

If I had read that last paragraph 8 hours ago I'd have saved myself 8 hours of pulling out my hair wondering why 'windows' can see the drive but I couldn't do anything with it!

I know it's a long time since this was posted but it's still a lifesaver!

Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back