BIOS crash after flashupdate (ASUS A8N-SLI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I tried to update my BIOS using the BIOS flash update thing.
Went to the ASUS support page, downloaded latest BIOS version (which was about 4-5 versions abone the currently installed), saved it on hard drive, ran ASUS Flash Update program and told it to install the new BIOS I had just downloaded on to my desktop.
All looked good, computer installed it and said it needed to re-start.... Now whenever I boot up;
1. Computer beeps due to chip fan failure, (which was fixed after pressing 'Delete' while booting and disabling the Chip Fan alarm.
2. The real problem is that after it clears this and I am asked to start windows either
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with CMD

Most recent settings that Worked

Normal

None of the above ever get me into Windows, in all cases the computer gets a split-second flash of a blue screen, and an automatic reboot which inevitably leads me back to square 1

I have tried doing that POST jump thing where I remove the battery and switch the blue pin thing to the alternate location i.e. 1 pin across, for 10 mins and then placing battery back and putting pins back to original position, but all I get is a boot up with the computer beeping again about the Chip Fan and nothing has changed.

Unfortunatley, I live in the Middle East and the only customer help I can get is from the ASUS support in America via telephone, which costs ALOT of money when calling from a mobile!

Would like to see if there is anything I can do myself, with your help before I start calling LOOOOONG distance

Any help would be greatly appreciated

When you flashed your Bios from Windows you may have had a bad file or even some interference from a service or background software program.If you have a floppy drive ,go back to Asus and download the Dos flash utility and the corresponding Bios file .
Then follow the instrctions to flash from dos off the floppy.
While you are at Asus , take some time to read the different fixes involved on each Bios update, The latest may not be the best for your system you may have to use an older file.

Thanks Liquidlen, however I do not have a floppy drive on my laptop which I am using atm as I cannot use the PC. is it possible to somehow save the flash utility and corresponding BIOS to a removable hard drive and boot the PC up using the drive instead of a floppy?

Cheers

Your ability to boot to any drive is going to be determined by the settings in your existing bios.
At www,bootdisk.com do some reading . there are many different ways to Boot .Network,USB ,CDrom etc. and there are files for each one of these examples.
If you don't have a floppy ,the most common standards are CD,HDD,USB
You have to try; USB and CD I think are going to be your best bet.
Inspite of your location it may mean, that box has to go to the Tech shop.
Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Thx for the help guys...
In the end I decided to format C: and re-install Windows which although time consuming has given my PC a new lease of life and now runs much better than it was before I screwed up the BIOS.

Moral of the story:

If it 'aint broke,
dont try and fix it...

Peace Out

One more Moral ;
Have a good backup plan in place for Data and System files. It just take a little more preperation.

to PROPERLY flash BIOS without a floppy drive:
use winflash utility
download the bios in its .bin form
restart into BIOS and make sure CMOS flash is not enabled
(if this supports your board)

start up your PC
turn off internet cnnection
turn off antivirus
turn off msn, AIM, yahoo etc...
close anybrowsers
close everything, you get the idea.

start winflash, and make sure the following are checked:
bootblock, DMI Area and clear CMOS
click file and load up the .bin
click update (it might ask u to load bin again, jus click yes)
and let it do its work

it will ask you to restart your PC, do so
it may ask you to resellect your primary boot drive
youre done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back