Bios detect incorrect RAM speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

edddder

Hi guys

I have problem on my ram (actualy its my nephew's PC)

when I entered BIOS set-up, what is detected their is 2 X
256mb (DDR333) ram, where infact the actual RAM is DDR400.

is this a bios version problem? is their a need upgarde the bios version?

by the way the RAM brand is GEIL DDR400 256mb (x2).

thanks for the help and time

did you upgrade the ram? it may be you board doesn't support it. or if one of them is a 333 and the other is 400 for dual channel operation, it will under clock the faster one. do both sticks physically say DDR400 or is there a stick in the machine running at 333?

The is nearly always the RAM, or the combination of two RAM modules. Multiple memory modules will default to the speed of the slowest module. Geil has a big name, but the name doesn't match the reliability. Most resellers will replace the module you bought from them.
Does the Geil have Value Ram on it or on the invoice, as Value Ram is often a cause of this problem you report.

With regards to the "value ram" ill check it when i get home.
for physical appearance, i can see on the laser label that indicates DDR400 (on both sticks).

You m ight want to reset your BIOS as well. Removing ghe CMOS 2032 battery for an hour, then re-entering the info, helps a lot of similar memory problems.

while your ram may run at 400 potentially, if your CPU clock speed for the FSB isis 333 then your ram's FSB will run at 333.

nothing wrong there.

Tedster said:
while your ram may run at 400 potentially, if your CPU clock speed for the FSB isis 333 then your ram's FSB will run at 333.

nothing wrong there.

Sir Tedster, specs for the processor FSB is 800MHz (by the way processor is AMD Athlon 64 3000+ S939), is this what it means for CPU clock speed? if yes, how will i make the Ram runs at its potential speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back