BIOS detects my CPU running at over 100 degrees

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SeiTeki

I just recently bougt a new Sunbeam Samurai cabinet, cabinet fans, terminal paste and a CPU heatsink (MIST Frostbite), because I've had some problems with my CPU running at 60 degrees in idle mode. Yesterday I moved all my hardware over into the new cabinet, including my old power supply that came with my old chieftech cabinet. But as a booted up my computer it only ran for about 4 seconds befor it shut down. I then tryed to reset the BIOS and booted the computer again. This time I got redicted directly into the BIOS, it sayd that that my CPU was running on a too high frequensy and it might damage my computer. So I set all my CPU frequensys to the lowest and checked the hardware monitoring in the BIOS... There I noticed that the BIOS thinks my CPU is running at over 100 degrees. I then put my hand on my new heatsink and fealt that it was only slightly chilled... I thought that I only I could logg into windows to look at my mobo utility I would get the right readings of the temperature. But as I clicked on "Exit and save changes" my computer shut down. As I booted it up again it only ran for about 4 seconds and shut down again, and then I was back at the beginning again. Now I have to reset my BIOS before every boot up to get into the BIOS, and whatever I do it always shuts down as I click on the "Exit and save changes" button.

Motherboard: ASUS A7V8X
CPU: AMD Atlon XP2400
Graphics Card: GeForce TI4200
RAM: TwinMOS 512 DDR

I know my CPU heatsink is connected to my mobo, and it works for the few seconds my computer is on, and so does all my other fans as well. And I've tried to connect my reset led onto the power pins on my mobo (something I read that should work, somewhere else on this forum). Now I don't know what to do anymore, I've ran of good ideas. I will appreciate all the help I can get.

The Windows software will more then likely interrogate the BIOS to get the CPU temp values anyways. Remove the CPU heatsink, check if you've properly installer it. Put a thin layer of thermal paste on the CPU die only (the rectangle in the middle of the chip) & reseat the heatsink. Make sure you haven't installed it in reverse because when you do so the core does not have a proper contact with the heatsink.

Thanks Didou, the heatsink was installed reverse, but I did that on purpose... You see, my new heatsink didn't fit my mobo when I was trying to install it because of various stuff sticking out from the mobo. Then when I tried to install it reversed it seemed to fit perfectly.

After reading your post I tried to fit on my old heatsink, which is a lot smaller than my new frostbite heatsink, and my computer booted up right away. Seems as if I want a new heatsink I will have to buy one that is a somewhat smaller than the MIST Frostbite heatsink, and a bit larger than my old and tiny Glacial Tech heatsink.

Thanks again Didou.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back