Bios displays wrong HD size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenix

I recently put in a new hard drive ( Maxtor ultra ata/133 80gb ) .
My bios is set to auto detect but it displays the wrong HD size; about 65 gb instead of 80. When I formatted and loaded windows none of the partitions display incorrect sizes, but the bios still does....
i put 5 partitions on the drive.

what should i do?
My Bios is Phoenix ver 4.0 release 6.0
thanks

Did you put the correct 80-prong ATA-100/133 cable on?
As far as I know, a BIOS only recognizes the combined size of the first 4 partitions of any HD, so if your 5th partition is about 15GB that explains dhe difference.

And if everything appears ok in Windows, I wouldn't be too stressed about it, as that is where you are acutally using it, not the BIOS.

You do have an older system (500MHz P-III according to your profile) and it may not properly address an 80GB drive.

I would have to say this symptoms you have given sound odd and this may not be the problem, but it is worth investigating if realblackstuff's suggestions don't help.

I would try flashing my BIOS to latest the version and NOT USE ANY drive installation software like MaxBlast. Check your drive geometry data in the BIOS. Is it manual? If so, are the numbers correct for heads, cylinders and so forth? Is it auto? Then try manual if you can. Auto should work best for you though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back